genius babies?

Ok so a lot of people have been telling me that babies are more advanced now then they use to be. I wan to know if it's true..... My son is 7 weeks old he can: hold his head up, sit on his own for a little bit, loves to jabber, smiles and laughs...... My sister is trying to convince me I have a genius i say I don't and that he's just a normal baby. Oh and he loves lights and music. So what about your alls kids?

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your sister is not a mother is she? :) All babies are different and will develop differently. My elder boy was holding his head up at birth, sitting up at close to three months and crawling at five...I know, amazing right? Yeah, well, my younger son was behind all that...but he is taller and thinner and a little bit more sneaky...all kids are different. There are no kids smarter or better than any others. Some kids make sense of things faster than others, some find different ways to make things work in their heads. Some want to keep up and show off others want to sit in the back and watch the show offs. No genius really, just a kid being a kid.
    toweringbeauty

Answer by toweringbeauty at 3:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hmmm. My ds was holding his head up at birth. At 6 or 7 weeks he started babbling and was rolling over at about 8 weeks. He's now almost 6 months and is sitting up, scooting (almost crawling) and using a sippy cup on his own. He's also figured out how to fake cough. LOL
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The doctor has always told me that my baby is advanced in the way she responds to people for her age. Your doctor sees a lot of babies... he'd be the one to say hey wow most babies don't do this that however many months!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 3:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• That is way too early to determine if a baby is a genius and I have never heard of that. I see a lot of people think basic skills are "genius."

Sounds like he is a normal little guy to me, but the fact he his veyr alert is a great sign. You never know as he grows maybe he will have a certain area he is advanced in.

I would keep playing with him, sharing music, teach him sign language and be hands on.

Hope that helps.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think you can compare physical advancement (holding head up or sitting) with IQ. Still people would tell me how smart my baby was. She did everything (except talk well lol) really early or at least earlier than most of her buddies her age. I'm not really the competitive type so I always just brushed it off as maybe slightly ahead of the curve. All babies develop at their own rate. I also tried not to compare her to other babies development for my own sanity.

Then again everyone in my family does have a rather high IQ so it wouldn't surprise me if she did end up smarter than the average bear so to speak.

Enjoy him while he's tiny, time goes by WAY too quickly, it's so true.
    Anonymous

• hate to tell you, your kid is normal
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 3:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Physical development has nothing to do with intelligence levels.

All three of my boys were advanced with their gross motor development. I have one son who is considered "highly intelligent" through all of his evaluations. My second son is "above average intelligence" according to his evaluations, and my third is smack in the middle average! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• *I* think my baby is a genius...but I try to avoid all of the "baby should be doing this by this age" stuff. I'm sure I'll pressure him eventually to do something, but right now I'm more than happy to let him do things his own way, in his own time. Plus, I really REALLY don't want to become a competitive parent!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son also does the fake cough and just scoots. He was over 9lbs at birth so his head control was pretty good at about 5 weeks. He uses his sippy cup by himself and now hold his bottle alone, with one hand sometimes. I'm tempted to not give him one anymore.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 7:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009