My daughter has potty training down ok....well, not so ok. She has no problem going pee on the potty, but it's #2 she refuses to do. I don't know what to do. Her two older brothers were cake compared to her! Any suggestions?

She just turned 5 and it is a fight every day with her. She will be starting kindergarden in the fall, and I am worried we will still have this problem and they will not let her attend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she have constipation problems? If so, the pain of going can make her afraid to go.

If not, have you tried making a silly game out of it? Make playdoh poop - be silly when mixing the colors up to get just the "right" shade. Then make a game out of where should be put our play poop? In the fridge? Under the table? In the cat's bowl? In the potty?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My 3 year old had this problem... with the same school issue. We just told her that if she does it again, she will have to go to the toddler room and wear training underware. That lasted two days and we were set. Natural consequence.

Now though, we have also found she has a major GI issue that could be Hirschsprung's_disease. So that's why she never went to the bathroom for BM's and all that nagging after her makes me feel horrible.

I would go talk to the doctor... our original pediatrician said to never worry about her infrequent bm's... once we got a new doctor and they caught on to this at age FOUR!, it changed my whole outlook on kids that don't poop right. Can never hurt to go talk to the doctor about it. Their alarms went off when we told them she didn't poop for 8 days after birth and she's always messing her panties at school but has peeing down.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• When potty training my oldest son we just had him wearing underwear all the time. Yes, he made a few messes but he caught on that we weren't giving him diapers just for #2 & eventually (after about a week) he decided to start going. Good luck.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 6:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009