When did you start serving chicken/turkey to your baby?

My DD is 6mos and my doc said I can start serving her cooked chicken mixed with carrots and the water I used to cook it in. Thrown in the processor of course. I want her to get all the nutrients she needs, I know my milk isn't enough for her now. There's so much contradicting advice, love to know what worked for you.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 3:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I gave our daughter Gerber baby food. I didn't do the whole puree food thing. So I guess the first time she got chicken was when she had teeth to eat it.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• This may be hard to believe but my daughter Jacklyn was eating that stuff at 3 months. At first her doctor was upset with me, but I couldn't fill her up with the cereal and formula, she did very well, she never did get into the gerber thing. Listen, no one and I mean NoOne knows your child better than you. What worked for mine may not work for yours. However, I think if your ready and she's ready go for it!
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 6 months. And she wouldn't take it if I ground it all the way. She wanted to eat like her big sis! The important thing is to add one food at a time to screen for allergies. Wait at least two days before adding something new, and wait until after one year for things that are known allergens, like peanut butter. Longer if you have allergies in your family.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We always used the Gerber until they were self feeding then they went to finely chopped table food. You'll know what your baby can handle. Just keep some of the extra cooking water around if it's too thick for her to handle so you can thin it.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Zoe started eating pureed fruits and veggies around 3 months...
    I started feeding her meats around 7 months - she HATED pureed meats so I just finely chop it up for her. I never fed her jarred food until she started eating meats and then I keep some incase there is someone here babysitting or I know she will have to eat while we are out... Plus she loves the jarred stuff (much to my dismay). I give her Earths Best if she gets jarred. Otherwise I make her little meals with meat and then freeze them in my baby food cubes I used when she was getting purees... that way lunch and dinner time are easier for me. She also gets cheese cubes and Yogurt. One of the best ways to make meat for your baby is using the crockpot... it will be VERY tender and juicy which seems to work best for me.
    Good luck!
    Shay2633

Answer by Shay2633 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Just another note...
    Don't use the water the carrots are cooked in (Nitrates can be dangerous for babies)
    Steam the carrots and throw the water away.
    Shay2633

Answer by Shay2633 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009