Does anyone else DREAD the holidays?

There are a lot of stuff I do enjoy about the holidays, but every year we go to 4 families in 1 day. That means limited time and a tight schedule. The things that I hate the most is every time we leave a family's house the beg us to stay longer, then it turns into a guilt trip thing. Hey it's not our fault that both of our parents' marriages ended in divorce. We try to make it to everyone house to celebrate and spend time with them all.

No one is ever willing to do it the day before or after. Our place is too small to have everyone over. And one year we did have the holidays at our house and everyone got mad at us bc they always have it at their house.

IDK it's like no matter what no one is happy. It just gets so frustrating!

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 4:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2011 in Holidays

• Yes. It's always such a relief when December 26 rolls around.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2011

• Why not start a new tradition and skip the other famlies and spend the day with your own? Explain ahead of time that there is way too much stress on your family and you would love to see everyone but you can't do it all on the holiday, it they want to get together... the need to comprimise with you and spread it out.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 4:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• Wow that sounds like alot!!!! No wonder you dread it, that's awful not to be able to enjoy the best time of the year!!!!! Are you the only ones that have to ho to 4 places? I think it's pretty selfish of the others not to be more flexible with you!! I would be spreading it our like it or not I would explain it's too much you can't enjoy the day and make 1 Christmas eve 2 Christmas day and 1 boxing day, it's all the holidays and all special if they don't want to grow up and get over it tell them you will just stay at home!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• I love the holidays and refuse to let anyone including family stress me out and I think they already know that, enjoy your husband and children if they don't understand
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2011

• I have lost two of my children. Christmas is a down time. I want so much to have them here and there is no chance.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• Why not start something new... if you like entertaining then have dinner at your place,
    maybe 2 dinners/2 different days... (this prevents drama)...
    If you cant do that, then simply tell everyone that starting this yr dh and yourself and kids
    are staying home... that there is just to much traveling and its not fair to the kids or you....
    I basically did this yrs ago and we only travel now to my MILs due to her health.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• No I love the holidays and this year will be one of our best, if i were you I would start my own tradition and have dinner at your place and invite all ,if they come great if they don't their loss.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• i would say that you tell them you are doing things differently this year. you want to start doing stuff at home and if they want to get together then you can do it a few days before or after. you can take the whole month for the holiday. it's not like it can't be celebrated any other time. one year because my brother came back from the military in january we had christmas then... but yeah i feel kinda the way you do. ever since my split with the ex it's like my son is going here and there. well not this year...we are staying put and if ppl wanna see us, they can do the driving. i am tired of going to everyone's houses and not being able to relax.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• Sorry you have to go thru this and I would dread it too if I were you. I love this time of the year! I'm actually looking forward to all of the holidays (well sorta) this year. I lost both of my parents this year and due to religious differences of my siblings one of my older sister's who I was the closest to (not by age, she's 13yrs old) has dis-owned me. I will be doing the holidays with my fiance, my two daughters and his family. Spending it with him and his family will be a first for me and my girls so I'm looking forward to blending our traditions along with theirs. The only holiday that has me a lil worried at this point is Thanksgiving. I was at my hair appointment last week and my fiance called me from home saying that he wasn't sure he even wanted to have dinner with his family because of all of the drama and how he would maybe like it if we just had dinner with the four of us at our home. It's still over a
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2011

• month away so I'm hoping he changes his mind because I was looking forward to not having to host a dinner for 15ppl. I really wanted to show up in our Sunday best with my Mac 'n Cheese casserole and our pumpkin roll and call it a day. Other than that I'm really looking forward to the holidays this year.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2011