Why did YOU get married?

Have you ever asked yourself this question? After seeing the Tyler Perry movie a few months ago I realized that I never thought about the actual reason WHY I got married. Yes, I love my husband and wanted to be with him but sometimes I think that I said "yes" because that's what I thought was supposed to be the next thing to happen in my life. I graduated from grad school, I was moving to a new city and he proposed so it was like the natural order of things. I don't regret it at all....just wondering if anyone has ever really thought about that question.

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I went round and round before I got married trying to justify my decision. I read books and thought about the 'why' a lot. AFter going round in circles and getting lots of "do you know how high the divorce rate is" stats. from friends, I realized that it is just a feeling and not a rational decision. I love my husband and we both want to have a family, that is the closest to 'why' i ever got. I even wrote him a letter all about my conflicted feelings and he ended up reading it at our ceremony! I basically came to the conclusion that you can't justify the decision to get married any more than you can justify your love for another person. SOme people have practical reasons (for tax purposes or for the sake of their kids), but most do it out of love and that can never be explained.
    Anonymous

• Yeah love but honestly we got married so that my husband would have better grounds to keep my son if anything ever happened to me. I know that stepparents don't have many rights, but more than "moms boyfriend" even though we were together for 8 years and my son used to say that if I died and the courts were going to make him live with his biofather he would beg hubby to leave the country with him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We got married because we both wanted to , it wasn't because I wanted to and he asked because he felt he should , it was because we have a mutual respect for one another and felt it was the natural next step in OUR relationship - we had both been in past long term relationships and never considered marriage , we were over 30 years old and it was best for us .
    We love each other , we plan to spend our lives together and it was the natural next step. True it is just a piece of paper , but to us it was important . We wanted our children to know that commitment to us is a life long journey through the good and bad , we don't believe in divorce , we believe in working through the tough times as a couple .
    Anonymous

• cuz im an idiot
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• For one very simple reason...Because I wanted to =)
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Because I wanted to have children! Call me old fashioned!!!!
    Anonymous

• Wow anon that's awesome...props to you!
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Why? Because we wanted to. I guess because it was the next thing to do. We were graduating from college and starting our careers. It made sense. I'm not saying that was right. It was just what happened. In retrospect, should we have waited? Maybe. I can say it could have gone either way really. But thankfully it went in the positive direction. We both can stand each other at the end of the day and the things that annoy us about each other aren't so bad and can be dismissed. As my husband put it the other day, he can live with the ways I annoy him and vice versa. The end of story. Sure there is love, respect, and all that good stuff. But it comes down to can we live with each other day in and day out. Some people you may like, even love, but no way in Hell you could live with them long term. Or the love will go.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I knew he was the one and i wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. we knew we wanted to get married because we were ready to start a family together. that was the next step. i'm truly blessed.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Because we're old fashioned and knew we wanted a family...marriage, then babies. Should have been then house, then babies...however buying a house isn't in the cards for us till he's out of the Navy! I really wanted to too. The first day I met him I told my friend I would marry him one day! Look at me, I did marry him!! Almost 4 and a half years ago!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009