In your household is money earned from work joint money ? Do you share a bank account? Why or why not ... what money issues do you have as a couple ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I manage the money. I pay all bills. (I am a SAHM currently) We don't fight over money... and don't have any money issues between us. My husband has direct deposit. We have a main account that majority of the funds goes in to. A set amount goes straight to savings. We also have our individual "fun money" accounts. We both get 100 a pay period (every two weeks) in fun money. We can do with our fun money whatever we want -- save it up to buy something, fritter it away on little junk, eat out lunch everyday. Basically we have an "allowance" and it keeps us from fighting over money. I don't get annoyed if I see him eating out, he doesn't worry if I buy something expensive. Its our money to spend as we wish. I got this idea from a professor in college who had been happily married for 40 years. :) I love it.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We share everything and both our names are on all our accounts. This was always the case, whether I was the only one working outside the home, both of us working, or just DH. I've always been the one to manage, regardless of who was earning it. Money is the one thing we have never fought about in our 20 years of marriage.
    Anonymous

• We have one as a couple, and then we both have one. The joint we pay all of the bills out of and the others are ours. If we come up short we pool together. But I guess the only money issues we have is that there is never enough around here. lol
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am a sahm mom and have my own savings & money, and my dh works. We have a joint account and everything is shared. We have one big pot we use to pay bills, buy things etc. Money issues? Other then never seeming to have enough lol? No issues, no arguments.

Answer by gemgem at 3:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We have a joint account , everything is shared and purchases are always discussed in advance aside from small incidentals.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We have all joint accounts. All money is pooled and all expenses paid from that. We've never fought about money, but his attitude, and it is a good one, toward purchases is to walk away and a couple days later if you still want it you get it. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that the item is gone already. We both have about the same philosophy about buying things. We try to buy as little as possible.

Answer by Bmat at 3:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am a stay at home mom. My hubby is self employed so he has to have a business account and I can not be on the account. We pay our bills from this account and I have full access to use his card when needed. I agree with gemgem the only money problems we have are not having enough.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We have a joint checking and a joint savings account. Both of our paychecks go to the same account and are used to pay all of our bills. It's *our* money. We sat down and did a budget and are accountable for it together. We haven't had any money problems so far.
    Anonymous

• We have a joint checking account and the money is "ours" - all of it. The only problem we have had is that my husband has no clue what our bills look like or how our finances are at any given time, but he feels that he can just go out and do stuff like start a Snap On account without talking to me about it. He's gotten a lot better since I threatened to stop taking care of the money and make him do it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We have joint accounts, but we also have our own accounts for our spending money. We both work and I handle the finances.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009