Cereal Question

I have a 4 month old that I am about to start on cereal - now i know some of you choose not to feed your baby cereal until 6 months or later, but I have a big boy who is not satisfied long with milk, so I have chose to start cereal - that being said. I will talk to his ped. about it, but was wondering when you guys started your babies on cereal....at what consistency did you mix it? How often did you give it to them? Do they go longer between feedings with cereal? And how long did it take them to get the hang of spoon feeding??? Do you mix it with water or formula???

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 3:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mix with formula or breast milk. And my son was about 3 mths. He just wasn't satisfied either. It doesn't take to long to figure out the spoon either. As for the consistency it has just been to long to remember that. lol
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My boys were taking 45-50oz of formula per day when I started cereal. I started by following the directions on the box and went from there...one needed it thinner, the other two wanted it thicker. Go figure....

Catching on to spoon feeding...that took about two bites! LOL Seriously!!

I mixed it with formula because there should still not be a drop in formula intake, even with the cereal.

They went no longer between feedings, and they took no less formula.

I gave it once a day...at supper time. At 5 months, I started veggies and made veggies supper, cereal at breakfast. Fruit became lunch after running through all the veggies. (then I started doubling it up and mixing it up) At 6 months we started finger and table foods. By 9 months they were on all table foods. It was when we started table foods they started finally taking less formula.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• First of all he is more then old enough, I started my kids on cereal at 1 month. It doesn't take them long to get used to the spoon, 2 of my kids like the metal spoons and 2 liked the rubber baby spoons. Just mix it with formula and make it a little runny. I fed my kids 3 times a day and they had a bottle after each feeding and a bottle right before bed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I started my son on rice cereal at 4 months. He loved it. I mixed 1 tbsp of cereal to 3 or 4 tbsp of formula. At 5 month I introduced him to fruits and oatmeal. 6 months to veggies and barley cereal. Now he's 8 months, eats all the above and things like turkey and rice or chicken and veggies. He LOVES it. He also eats the gerber puffs as finger foods. He's doing great too! I haven't found anything yet he doesn't like. :) IMHO, starting them early gets them eating better because they aren't as stubborn against new things.
    rosewolfkin

Answer by rosewolfkin at 9:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son was 4 months old when we started feeding him ceral. Our cr actually said we could. He is a big boy also! When I first started giving it to him I mixed it with formula and made it on the thinner side until he got used to it. Our dr said to still feed him his bottles like we normally do but just incorporate the ceral in too. At first he had it twice a day. After a while though he seemed like he just wasn't intersted in it so I actually started mixing it with apple juice instead and making it a little thicker and he loved it! It only took about 2 weeks of him eating it to get used to being spoon fed.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 9:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 5 months. I just started her on cereal last week. I started with 1 teaspoon of cereal and mixed in about 4 teaspoons of formula. Each day I would increase cereal by half a teaspoon. I feed her cereal about an hour after her first bottle of the day.
    kaosgirly8403

Answer by kaosgirly8403 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009