Country food.

Got any tips on frying food?? I can do it. I know I can. But I tend to burn it. Or under cook it...
My mans a redneck and wants his cornbread and fried pork chops...

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 3:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Heat the oil on a low temp for a longer period of time...Do not begin frying until the oil is good and hot and alwyas use a splatter guard to avoid well splatter... I agrree with pp on turning frequently and I found when I first began really frying food I was'nt putting enough oil in the pan, make sure you have a nice thick layer...I've realized about the half way mark on whatever meat you're cooking is ussually enough...
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Try heating on medium heat. I always go between 5-6 on my stove. I don't know if yours is like that or not. It will take it longer to cook but just keeping turning so it doesn't burn.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh and good luck! I was'nt very good at the "country" foods until I moved down South and now I make "the best fried chicken in town" according to friends and family.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• First off all do you have good, seasoned cast iron skillets? Cornbread comes out better when baked in cast iron. Frying...anything really...make sure your fire isn't too high, your meat isn't icebox cold and you have a good fat/oil in the pan. We fry chops in bacon grease because........well because that's the way I was taught and thats how he wants them usually. I do have a recipe for baked chops that he likes pretty well too. Mostly, just be patient. Try not to cook to fast and watch it closely so as not to burn.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009