breastfeeding?

Ok so my SIL just had her baby a week ago today and her milk is not really in i mean she gets some milk but not enough to satisfie her little hungry monester lol. Now i was telling her that there is a pill or tea she could drink to help stimulate more milk but i cant remember what its called does anyone know?
And are there other ways to help? She is getting frustrated and thinking of calling it quits i hate to see her give up so soon.
She pumps or feeds him every 2hours like she was told. So if hes not ready to eat she pumps so every 2hours she is doing one or the other.

Mommy2B04

Asked by Mommy2B04 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is there a reason why she thinks she's not producing enough?? A lot of times you think you're not producing enough, but you are. It just happens that newborn babies like to eat a lot in the early days. I know my son was lazy and didn't eat much but my daughter was practically on the boob 24/7 for the first few weeks. She was always hungry but I def had enough milk cuz she is huge.
    Anyway, I'd just keep it up, if she's really worried, you can get one those scales that measures in oz and weigh the baby before and after each feeding to see if she's getting any milk. Also, she can continue to pump in between feedings and that should increase her supply.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• they had a dr apt today and the baby hasnt put any weight on so they had him breastfeed and then weighed him again and hes not really getting anything. Plus one side of her boob isnt producing milk at all really.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• She should maybe see a lactation consultant. She needs to make sure he's latched on properly and that he's swallowing milk. He may just be lazy...my son was. Also, she should feed on one boob at a time...make sure he completely empties it so that he gets the fatty part of the milk. She can also try getting him to latch on when he's not particularly hungry. I always have my right boob not produce much milk.
    Is she drinking/eating enough??You know, I don't know what it's called but they have pills that the doc can prescribe to increase supply.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The body only produces as much boobyjuice as it is told by a hungry baby it needs to make...if shes switching back n forth from pump n baby that might be your problem...the pump only works suction(sp?) n the baby is the bast way to get milk flowing regularly cuz she stimulates, sucks, and applies pressure...
    good luck SIL
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• MOTHERS MILK TEA - can be purchased at whole foods, stop & shop, or a variety of holistic shops
    CutePreemieK

Answer by CutePreemieK at 7:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009