• In the Spotlight:

What's your best money saving tip(s)?

The current state of the economy and job market is causing many cutbacks in business and in our homes! What are your favourite money saving tips?

I have started clipping coupons like a maniac and it's gotten addicting!

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We buy only what we need and we buy generic whenever it is as good as the brand name.
    We also signed up for the budget plans with our utility companies. For instance, the electric company will look at the past 6 months that you used, find the average, and charge you that amount for the next 6 months. Every 6 months they refigure the average so sometimes it might go up a little or it may go down a bit. It helps a LOT when you can budget the same amount each month instead of waiting to see what the bill will be.

By the way, VaDivaMom, I live in No. VA, too, but our electric for a 2,400 sq. ft house for a family of 5 has never gone over $200. Why is yours all the way up to $400? You may want to look in to that. My kids are wasteful, too, with electronics and water, but never has it gone as high as yours.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We have date night at home. We watch movies or sit and read books together. We dont go out to dinner but maybe once ever 2 months.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Our main thing is utlities. Here in Northern VA my lights are running close to $400 a month. Conserving has played a major role. I dont know what it is but kids love to leave lights, radios and tvs on and for some reason stand in look in the fridge like something they want will appear. In addition they love to have water running full blast while brushing teeth and my teen will throw one thing in the washer on LARGE load. Now I set a rule $2 each time a light is left on or any of the above are done....You wouldnt believe how much the utilities went down and how they learned about responsibility.I also clip coupons and look for double coupon days.We also have cut back on luxuries like manicures and pedicures, we do them ourselves. We do our own hair and instead of eating out alot we will do a mock night of a restaurant.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 4:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• While I think saving is important, it is also important to "pay yourself first." We give ourselves $10 a check each and we either save it and go to dinner just the two of us or buy ourselves something. Even if it is just a coke or something. If you dont you go overboard given the opportunity. Asside from that we are actually pouring MORE money per month into our cars to pay less interest and more on principle. We assess things in the store with the question "do I really need it?" If the answer is no we do not get it.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We pay attention to gas prices. Whoever has the best price gets our business. If there is something big we need that is a pricey item we shop around for the best price. Instead of paying a sitter in money we pay them by watching their kids. Cutting cupons is good. We no longer run to fast food for convienience like we used to. We buy memberships to places we go often like the zoo and pack a lunch when we go instead of buying food there. We make sure lights are getting turned off and we are not letting water just run.
    LovinEveryDay