falling a lot?

My baby is learning to stand/walk and he falls a lot, sometimes just on his butt, but sometimes he falls backwards and hits his head on the floor (carpet) he always tilts his head so far back. I catch him sometimes, but he gets up on his own and has fallen up to like 3 or 4 times in one day. he cannot sit still sometimes, he's got to get up and go.
How bad is it? I worry sometimes like he could get brain damage if he keeps falling, I try my hardest but I'm not there every time he slips.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's just learning then he's gonna fall. My poor baby hit his head alot and I thought the same thing you did. But he turned out just fine. I joked about getting him a helmet cause he fell so much.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 4:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• That is the way they learn. I know its scary. My daughter hit her head I don't know how many times before she really learned to walk. Every time I about had a heart attack! I hated it but now that she is past it and doesn't have any long term damage I'm ok.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son was the same! So clumsy!!! Unfortunately I think it's pretty normal and although it drives us crazy, there's not much you can do except make sure there's nothing sharp and try to keep them on somewhat soft surfaces.
    I was always concerned my son would end up cracking his skull open or getting brain damage, to be honest, he still bangs his head so much I still worry...but he made it this far!(he;s almost 2 now)
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Babies fall dear, i cant even explain how many golfball size bumps my son got when he was learning to walk. Hes four now, but man he used to give me a heartattack. So trust me honey he will be alright. If you are still too concerned, ask his doctor.
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 4:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• dont fret too bad about it...every baby falls alot during these attempts...you should know his cries well enough at this point to be able to ell when it was a really bad one(when this happens just go calm em down n then when theyre all good again start applying small amounts of pressure around where he hit his head...if theres no difference in his attitude youre fine) the good point to falling so much is soon hell know how to fall correctly and know how to catch himself when he thinks hes going to fall...
    good luck mommy!
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2009