Nightmares??

My son has what I think are nightmares(not all the time...occasionally). He'll be 2 the end of this month.
Anyway, last night, he woke up crying and talking in his sleep. I tried to comfort him but he didn't want to be touched and wasn't fully awake. What can you do in this situation??? Is it best to wake him up or just try to calm him down?

Paesana82

Asked by Paesana82 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always wake my daughter up. Some people say not to but I do. I wake her up and rock her back to sleep. Play with her hair because it calms her down. Some times I take her into bed with me.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son went through the same thing. (only at nap time thought) I stopped feeding him just before nap time and they stopped. What one had to do with the other I have no clue but I was told that might be the problem and I guess it was. He would scream and freak out, but didn't seem to be awake. BEST thing you can do is not to touch him, pick him up or try and wake him. Just watch and make sure that he doesnt hurt himself. After a few mins sometimes up to 20 mins he will calm down and act like nothing was wrong. I learned that trying to hold him or wake him made the fit last longer.

This worked for me. I don't know what happens for you before an episode, but maybe it will help.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 4:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't wake him just comfort him until it passes is what my doctor told us .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If he's not awake, not aware that you are in the room talking to him, then it's not a nightmare. It's a night terror. They are different.
    You're supposed to sit nearby to make sure he doesn't hurt himself and just wait for him to calm down and lay back down. You can talk softly, sing softly, even rub his back. But remember, he is not awake. He is deeply asleep. How would he react if you came into his room in the middle of the night and shook him awake? He'd be confused and upset. That's what he'll be like if you wake him.
    I've seen two suggestions to help prevent it:
    Wake him just before you go to bed. Why this works, I have no idea. I also don't know if it works.
    and
    Make sure he gets enough sleep. Kids who are overtired are more likely to have night terrors.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• OK, so I read a little about night terrors, and if that's what he's having it says the main cause is lack of sleep....DS actually sleeps really well. Anyone know of any other reasons???
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009