Has anyone been to marriage counseling?

What was your experience like? Was it expensive? Did it work?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 4:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• We went thru several therapists before we found one that we BOTH liked -hubby had issues "opening up" to people about certain things - once we found the "one" that we really liked - things started to take off in a positive direction. YES they are expensive. For awhile insurance was covering the co-pays then we had to dish out $100-125 (I think) per session. Now we see her as needed - instead of a reg. basis. YES, YES and YES it helped BIG TIME. We had communication and MIL issues - MIL has been cut off - and our communication is WAY better. I would recommend therapy to anyone - but it only works if YOU want it to work. GL
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i have been to marriage counseling with my EX husband and i think it will only work if both parties are 100% comitted to it. if that's not the case don't bother. as far as cost goes it can be costly but it can and should be covered under your health insurance under one of you saying you're depressed(which probably is true if you're seeking help). also if you belong to a church usually your religous leader can also help counsel you.
    staci1103

Answer by staci1103 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my brother and sisterinlaw went to several sessions. Their marriage was on the brink of disaster. Now he just bought her a $100,000 mercedes.So I think it works....................
    Anonymous

• We've been. I will second the notion that it only works if you BOTH completely WANT it to work, and you both have got to be there, mentally, physically, and emotionally. Or it's a waste of time.
    lacoli

Answer by lacoli at 5:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• As staci and lacoli said, it only works if BOTH people want it to. My EX and I did it too. I actually had the counselor pull me to the side after our last session and tell me that she could tell he didn't want to take it seriously and she felt bad wasting our money.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009