my son was premature 3 1/2 weeks early and he is still in newborn everything is this normal he is 3 months now

hes still in newborn diapers and clothes and he is very small for his age he is only 7 pound and 7 ounces is this normal for a premature baby

devlynsmommy08

Asked by devlynsmommy08 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't be concerned if your doc is not .
    What was his birth weight ?
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think they consider 3 weeks early premature. My son was born at 37 weeks, and 37-40 is considered a normal birth. He may just be a small baby. Did he lose a little weight after birth? My son was born weighing 7lbs and 11oz, he lost a little before he started gaining.
    njpmom06

Answer by njpmom06 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yeah he lost alot of weight he used to be 10 pounds and then went down to 7 hes birth weight was 5 pounds and 7 ounces
    devlynsmommy08

Answer by devlynsmommy08 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter was a 40 week-er. She outgrew her newborn clothes at 3 months almost to the day. If your little guy came early, I'd say he's fine. Always remember to adjust his age when looking at any charts.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would absolutely be concerned then , he should not be losing weight at all if he was up to 10 lbs , have you spoken to your doctor about this?
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yeah and they might be doing surgery on him for his acid reflux he cant keep his food down and im scared to death about the surgery
    devlynsmommy08

Answer by devlynsmommy08 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Losing wieght is very different from not gaining weight... I would contact a doctor immediately and not stop until you have answers.
    And no 3 weeks early is not ussually considered premature to answer a PP's ?...
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• At least your dr. recognizes their is a problem. Poor guy. My son had bad acid reflux, and he was just miserable. I would say to just keep up with visits to the dr. so they can monitor it. I know several moms have put their baby on meds for reflux - have you tried any of those? It's not something I am really fond of (medicating babies) but it sounds like this might be one of those extreme cases where it might be necessary. 7 lbs is very small for 3 months.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yeah they have tried every kind of medicine for acid reflux and they think that they surgery is really going to help him out
    devlynsmommy08

Answer by devlynsmommy08 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• From 10lbs to 7? That doesn't sound normal. Ask his doctor.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009