Oh no! How sad :(

My 2 year old says "F*ck that!" How sad :( How can I get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put some hot peppers in his mouth and tell him thats a bad word it works
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Completly ignore it...At least that works for my monkey when she imitates when I slip up...If you don't make a big deal out of it, it's no fun for them to say. If that does'nt work, tap the outside of his mouth and tell him no that's a grown up word. I've had to seriously curb my tounge since having kids and I know it's hard but you can do it and you can make the people around you do it to. Try a cuss jar for the grown ups, it's incredible how quick they start watching what they say around your little man when it hits their pocket.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter said "Sh*t" yelled it at her dad actually. She got a pop on her but and sent straight to bed she has never said it again. A week or so ago she said "f*cker" and we told her how bad it was and she hasn't said it since.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Sounds like my daughter. She is also 2 and the other day she called DH a "Rude @ss". She heard it on Two and Half Men. After that we have never watched that show again. Plus for weeks whenever she got mad she would call someone an "Uggle". We never knew what that meant till it became clearer and that whole time she was calling us "@ssholes"!! I was so ashamed because I think she picked that up from me when I called DH that during an arguement. So I too would like to know how to reverse this bad habit.
    Anonymous

• they best thing you can do is just tell him its a bad word and we dont use bad words and then ignore him when he says. Its not fun if he doesnt get a reaction from it. Dont worry all of our kids at some point say a bad word. no one is perfect.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hot peper flakes in a toddlers mouth can and have caused blistering. Do not do that please. First you vow that whoever is mimicking that language for him is DONE doing so. Whether it's you, SO, In laws..whoever. Next you take the child aside and tell him that is a very ugly thing to say and it is not okay., If you say it again your consequence will be ___. If he says "Daddy says it" Or whomever..you say When that person says it is ugly too. It is not okay for anyone to use those kinds of words.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hot peppers in the mouth are you serious ? That's child abuse as far as I am concerned , the child is 2 .

Ignoring it works here , the more reaction they get the more they will repeat it .
    Anonymous

• If ignoring doesn't work then give him something else to say...something funny. My creative juices aren't flowing right now lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ugh please don't start the hot sauce/pepper debate again...that got so nasty. I agree that at 2 it's a bit extreme but soap in the mouth of an older child never hurt anyone...
    The best advise I think I or anyone else can give is to ignore the behavior. Children do things for a reaction, if they do not get a reaction they stop doing it eventually.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• When my son was younger he used to always say Sh*t and from advice of therapist, they told us to ignore it do not respond to it and eventually he will stop saying it. It worked!! Before I would scolded him, pop him, grounded him but he said it more. So now when my son hears other people say he would say uhh! real loud and tried to scold them and he would let them know. He would never say the word but boy, he gets louds and put them in check it is so funny he makes them apologizes. He hates swearing words and loud arguements (or loud talks). He runs around like a little monkey covering his ears. I am glad he is that way. Because I have seen worse where there is no respect. I believe there is a time and place for the usages of the words but not saying it is better. At time I am guilty when I make mistakes or hurt myself but I am working on it.
    momofpdd

Answer by momofpdd at 4:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009