How do I stay sane with husband gone and three under three?

My husband just got and big promotion and his new position will require him to travel out of state about once a month for about a week. We currently have a 2 1/5 year old, 16 month old and our third is due in March. I’m just wondering how I am going to manage all three babies while he’s gone. I know single moms do it, but I’d like some advice. I am so proud of him for this, but it’s a little overwhelming to even think about. My little ones are so demanding of the both of us now, what about when the newborn is here? Should I get a nanny to help out? Any advice is much appreciated!

sugarmama01

Asked by sugarmama01 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouls say recruit family & friends (if possible) first than look into a nanny. It sounds like it'd be overwhelming, ya need some kinda help..
    Anonymous

• If you have family, use them when you can. I think you will be fine. It will take a little adjusting, but it will work itself out after the first few times. As long as you dont allow yourself to get depressed, and since you guys seem to have money....you can get out to the park and have take out often.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 4:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am totally in the same boat.. My kids are 5, 19 months, and I am due in Janusry(27th). I make the time that my husband is gone as " Fun Night". It reaaly isn't so hard to get throguh it all and we get the remote!
    coopgirl

Answer by coopgirl at 4:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Get a nice baby back pack and a nice front pack. Take them out walking if weather permits--or to someplace to get some exercise. Pray. And realize--this time won't last forever and ENJOY it:-) You are blessed to be home with them. Though is seems overwhelming--you will survive--and cherish this time.
    Anonymous

• 1. coffee, 2. a sling for the newborn, 3. good sex when he is home, so its all worth it ;)
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 5:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Good luck to you. You will be fine. A nanny would be a wise investment. Or even helping with laundry and clean up.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i just have to say that you are very lucky!! my hubby is in the army and gone for 12 months at a time. anyway, the way I did it, without him, but i only had 1 child, no family or friends, was make it a fun time. watch cartoons, go to chuck e cheese, really just let them tear the freaking place up. i mean, when he gets home, yes it will look like a tornado only hit your house, but seriously, 1 wk without 'totally' cleaning isn't gonna ruin it. unless its a set schedule, baths can wait, trust me, dishes will be fine in the sink overnight.

take time to make yourself feel appreciated. hopefully you will get a few wks after the baby is born to really get a routine down. luckily none of them are old enough for school yet, so just relax and have fun!
    armywife117

Answer by armywife117 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Thank you for the replies!! Wow. What great feedback. I'd love a nanny to help with the kids, laundry or cleaning up...hell, even to wipe my ass. Just kidding. But as I was looking online, nannies run about $15-$20 an hour per child. That's pretty expensive even just for a couple of hours a few times a week.
    sugarmama01

Answer by sugarmama01 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009