How old was your child when they became potty trained?

Did you find it an easy task to potty train? Did you use bribing, like ice cream, cookies? I am so stressed. My 34 month old refuses to tell me when she has to go potty. I have tried everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We started at 2 1/2 with my daughter. She wasn't completely trained until the month before she turned 3. (she turned 3 in November) I used pull ups for a while and when I felt we were getting anywhere we went straight to underwear. Which works as they don't want to be feeling all wet or soiled. We gave our daughter a sticker for every time she peed on the potty...and then a few m&ms for every time she pooped. We bought all kinds of Disney princess stickers so that made her eager to go. Pooping on the other had took time to master..we still have accidents here and there. I offered her plenty to drink throughout the day and then say "lets go to the potty" every 20-30 minutes. Make a huge deal out of it when she goes. When there is an accident don't make a big deal out of it..but no reward for an accident. Feel free to message me if you need any other advice.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I didnt even bother with potty training until a few months after my daughter turned 3. She turned 3 in June,and we potty trained in November. She learned it within a week, and it was hard the first couple of days, but she got he hang of it. Now, she is a potty professional..LOL she is 4.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How old? she was 22 months. she sort of potty trained herself, um we used stickers and m and ms the more stickers she got the more m and ms...i know horrible but it worked.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i was pretty lucky with my oldest. she trained herself at 26 months.

her signs were staying dry through the night and hiding to poop. i would put regular undies on her during the day and pullups at night.  i didnt use bribes because if she isnt ready then shes not.

and scolding if they dont use the potty does not help...here is a site on potty reward charts

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/CTGY/FREE-Potty-Training-Charts.html

hope this helps...good luck!

phairee004

Answer by phairee004 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter is almost 2 and has been trained for about 2-3 months. I gave her a skittle or m&m each time she went. I also made her go every 15 minutes for like the first week so she didnt have the chance to go in her pants.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I stressed myself out about potty training my son, and he had several false starts. One day, he just wanted to go potty instead and never turned back. My advice is give them the skills, then one day it just clicks for them. He was 3 when he started.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 11:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son was 2 1/2 and I got mad and frustrated when he wouldn't go potty, but then I just backed off and he eventually started going by himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son was 2 1/2 and just wanted to one day. So he eventually started going by himself.
    Snugglebunny797

Answer by Snugglebunny797 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my oldest was 24months when he started, he had a new baby brother and figured out diapers were for babies. I believe it helped the we use cloth diapers. It got to the point that he wouldn't keep the diaper on so i told him he had to pee and poop in the potty and that was that. It took about 2 weeks to be mostly accident free. we didn't use pull ups he went straight into underpants. He does get a fruit snack for pooping in the potty when he remembers. He was so young he couldn't say potty when we started, but i didnt know what else to do with him.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 9:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009