how do you store home made babyfood?

i want to make my son's baby food but i would need to make a few days at a time, how would i store it? is there somewhere you can buy baby food jars?

RosaMae

Asked by RosaMae at 4:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In ice cube trays in the freezer, just enough for a serving, pop one or 2 out and warm them up as needed.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Ice cube trays covered with saran wrap in freezer:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I make a bunch in advance. You freeze them in ice cube trays....then put them in ziploc bags in the freezer. Label them with the name and date. You can keep food for 2 mo. in a regular freezer and up to 6 mo. in a deep freezer. I love making her baby food...I have slowly been making it lumpier and lumpier so that she gets used to texture in her food. Good Luck!

Also - there is a make your own baby food group on here...if you ever need any other guidance.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I make big batches of fruits and veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays. Pop the cubes out once frozen and store them in a freezer bag, labeling the bag with whatever food is inside. With rice cereal, oatmeal, and other grains I grind them in the blender and store the powder in containers in the fridge. Then I make batches of cereal every few days. I spend a few days in the kitchen making baby food but it lasts for months until I have to make more. I HIGHLY recommend making your own because it's SO much cheaper and better for your baby too. Check out wholesomebabyfood.com. It's a wonderful website for making your own food!
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Better than ice cube trays? Silicone muffin pans (or metal too I guess) to freeze the food in. You can add more per serving (or less) as they get older. And it is super easy to get the food out of the flexible ones.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• question how do u make ur oqn food
    ticklemeelm0713

Answer by ticklemeelm0713 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I loved making babyfood because it saved so much money! I would steam sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, apples into apple sauce, put them into a blender w/ the water that I steamed them in to retain vitamins & min. I would bake butternut squash and scoop out the insides and mash it up with a little spring water. You can even cook up rice & if you have a little food processor to mash it up. Then immediately pour them into ice cube trays & freeze. Once frozen, pour into large freezer bags dated & labeled. 1 food cube is equal to one serving size.

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I did this with the last 3 babies. I saved so much money and my kids were so bright and healthy.
    Try to find organic. Expensive but compared to purchasing babyfood jars it will be cheaper and the quality is way beyond processed baby food. Non organic fruits and veggies have pesticides. Babies little systems are more sensitive because right now they are building up their immune systems. Organic veggies and fruits are really only10-20 cents more per lb
    Go to the library.
    Momforhealth