• In the Spotlight:

I have a 9 year old who still sucks his thumb, has a blanket and will not got to sleep on his own at night. I need help, any advice. We have tried everything except locking him in his room.

WE have tried sitting up stairs with him, his sister sleeping with him, the TV, books, etc. It all comes down to he is afraid to go to sleep because he is afraid of night mares. I have tried to be really patient with him, but I am losing it.

transmom

Asked by transmom at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Leave a light on in his room, leave the door open and your bedroom door open, so he doesn't feel apart from you. Nightmares are scary. Tell him that once he talks about a nightmare that it will probably not come back. And listen when he talks about them. Tell him to make the nightmare dreams into good dreams by remembering something he likes. I wonder if counseling would help the little guy. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 4:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'd say the most important thing is to have a good routine and to not coddle him too much. Talk about nightmares he's had and see if you can figure out what they're about or what they stem from. It might be best for him not to watch TV too close to bed time and find something else to soothe him. This may sound strange, but my son got a lava lamp for Christmas and it sits by his bed. He says it makes him sleepy watching it and that it makes him fall asleep. He needs to find something to replace his thumb and blanket that will help soothe him. Good luck!
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 4:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Thanks so much for your input. We do leave a light on and the doors open. We have talked about thinking about good things. Anxiety is an inherited trait from his father's side and we have an apointment this month for counseling. Just pray for us as we are out of options. I do like the idea of a lava lamp or something.
    transmom

Answer by transmom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• try counseling ,have he told yall what the night mares r about . monitior what he's watching ,listening to.and what time he eats i don't know how true old people use to say if u eat late at night u will have night mares.him suckn his thumb and holdn a blanket is his since of security.
    BigMA

Answer by BigMA at 11:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Have you talked to his pediatrician or a counselor about it? Is he happy at school?
    My nephew slept with his blankie until he was 8 or 9
    He is now 36 and a successful and well adjusted vice president in marketing.
    Does he take medication for anything? Sometimes I have weird dreams and dread going to sleep
    Myself. Definitely avoid scary tv or video games
    I would not lock him in his room, I woiuld have been terrified if someone did that to me as a child!
    Play soothng music /Kenny Loggin's House at Pooh Corner CD used to put my son (and me!) to sleep
    God Bless all of you and hang in there!
    Love,
    Linda (sorry to be so long winded)
    Lindalu66

Answer by Lindalu66 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• LOCK HIM IN HIS ROOM @ TAKE HIS BLANKET AWAY @
    PUT SOMETHING DISTASTEFUL ON HIS THUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• try no nightmare spray. It is very easy to make. Get a spray bottle add water and scented oil in it. Have him spray the room at night just before he goes to bed and when he is spooked and it will rid nightmares. We also used it for Monster be gone spray. I hope this helps!
    JuneBug88

Answer by JuneBug88 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Thanks for all of your input. We have an appointment with a counselor in February on a recommendation from his pediatrician. We are doing Benadryl at night and he is doing some better.
    transmom

Answer by transmom at 9:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son will be nine and still has a blankie.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009