How did you potty train your boy? Sitting or standing?

I'm just starting to think about potty training....even though I probably won't attempt it for some time. But I was wondering what you other moms did. Sitting or standing? Did you buy one of those little toilet seat things to put on the toilet?

I can't pass the buck on my hubby as he works and I stay home. I'll be with my son much more....so....any suggestions?

Pollymom

Asked by Pollymom at 4:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Withh all of mine we started sitting then went to standing as they 'got it'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• When I was potty training both my boys I had to work alone since my hubby was deployed. It was a tad awkward. I taught them sitting down, telling them to just "aim towardsthe water" LOL I was able to however, after a few weeks, tell them to just stand up and aim for the water. I used a lot of reward charts and positive reinforcement. It all worked out well, although to this day I still have to tell them to lift the toilet seat to tinkle and put it back down when they are done. Some never grow out of that LOL. Good Luck!

KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'm teaching my son sitting down for now. Once he's older I figure we'll switch to standing. I'm using one of the seats that goes on top of the toilet....I really don't want to have to deal with poop anymore than I have to. It's so much easier to just flush the toilet when they're done! The only negative is that you have to put them on the toilet cuz they can't reach, but it's not that bad.
    I've only just started potty training my first, so I don't know what's the norm or what works well...but so far, I've just been putting my son on the toilet after every meal. When he poops or pees we have a "party"(he's almost 2) he gets high fives, we sing, lots of praise, etc. He's realizing what happens when he needs to go and I'm hoping he'll get the hang of it soon!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We potty trained him standing up. I started in the spring when he could go out side in our country home and pee off the porch. He got a kick out of it and He really did well at 2.5 years. The pooping took a while, but I waited until he showed interest instead of me pushing him. Believe me my second one took longer than the first. They just have to be ready.
    transmom

Answer by transmom at 4:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I potty trained my sitting backwards on the toilet. He liked to aim for cheerios and so we faced him towards the back of teh seat so he could look in
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Standing!
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Sitting until they were tall enough to pee INTO the toilet!

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• sitting. The main focus at first was getting him to go to the potty...my husband later taught him to stand after he was potty trained.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree with most, sitting at first. I did it that way b/c I have known lots of little boys that wouldn't poop on the potty b/c they didn't want to sit up there. I am not sure exactly how old he is but I would start now, I don't mean to expect him to get it, but introduce him. Put him on the potty a couple of times a day so that he feels comfortable with it. I did that with my children, and when it came time to actually potty train it was sooooooo easy. All 3 of mine were potty trained by 24 months, and 2 of them by 18 months. Definately get the ring that sits ontop of the toilet.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son sat at first but when my husband was home, actually even when my DS was a baby my husband would take him to the bathroom with him and he would go standing. That's what my son had always seen so once he was in the swing of things he would go standing. He did that by age 2.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009