Having trouble getting my 16 month back on a sleeping schedule

ever since me and the hubby moved back in w/ my dad in june she started stayen up late cuz my dad would play w/ her and now she goes to bed like 11 or 12 sumtymes later and even if i put her to bed at like 8 she stays awake talken and playen w. blankets in her bed. I sometimes tried to wake her up early so mayeb she be tired at night but that didnt help and she takes only one nap at usually 4

ticklemeelm0713

Asked by ticklemeelm0713 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try to get her to nap earlier. Also, when she sleeps at night maybe try opening the curtains so that the sun comes in in the morning. It might make her wake up or at least make her less comfy if the sun's in her face.
    One thing I did with my son is have him skip a nap one day and he went to bed a little earlier...then he napped earlier the next day, slept earlier...etc.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'd suggest working on it from all angles. Gradually move the time you put her down for naps and bed a little earlier and also gradually make her get up from naps and in the morning a little earlier. Try just 20 or 30 minutes earlier for a few days and then move another 20 or 30 minutes earlier. Keep doing that until you get her on the schedule that you want. Make sure she is tired and full when it's time to go down. Skipping the nap or at least shortening it one day might also help move things up, but sometimes an overtired baby has a really hard time going to sleep. I also agree with the pp about using the sun to help let her know when it's time to get up.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009