Help with Some Questions about tests....

I am 13 wks pregnant. I have an appointment this afternoon and they are going to want to know if I want the tests perfomed to see if anything is wrong with baby. I am so happy to be pregnant and have the view of " no matter what I am having the baby." Can you give me some feedback on if you did or didn't do the test, and what lead you to make your decision. Thank you soo much.

PS this is my 4th pregnancy but I have never carried this far!! =]

Babyclark08

Asked by Babyclark08 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have 4 kids and I never did any of th test well not the the one that they stick the needle in your stomach. They wanted me to do it at 7 months since I went into labor 2 month early but I did not want that done to scarey for me but everything turn out they gave medicines that stopped my labor and April 2nd 2003 I gave birth to a bouncey baby boy.
    busy_mom41

Answer by busy_mom41 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• No, I did not have the test done. There are way too many false positives w/ that particular test. My Mom had it done w/ my brother and it came back positive 4 times, yes, 4 times and he is fine. The test causes unnecessary worry and stress IMHO.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 11:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I did not have the tests done. I did a lot of research on the tests, and realized that there is honestly more false positives than actual positives. I did not want to put that stress on myself during my pregnancy. I knew I would love my baby no matter what. My cousin had it done and they told her that he had Downs Syndrome, and he is a perfect, happy little guy! Too scary for me!
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Is this the needle test? I didn't do it as well. The doctor called me and told me about it, I told him I wasn't interested because of the high risk of a miscarriage. After we finished talking about it, he told me I made I made a wise descicion (off the records of course). He said that unless there is extreme evidence that something might be wrong there is no need for it. I don't recomend you do it, if the evedince is not there (like blood test results coming back weird, sonograms, ans stuff like that). Just do the regular ones.
    Little_Maria

Answer by Little_Maria at 1:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The blood test was fine. I knew I was going to keep the baby no matter what so we did the fetal screen, but amniocentesis not a shot in hell. That one is unnecessary and risky.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I did the amnio with my first child!! it hurts like hell and afterwards we had no more real answers than we did before! So I would not recomend it! Its your baby and you will accept him/her no matter what!!I would think long and hard before I did this, especially with your history of m/c. because there is a risk of it with this test!! Good Luck!!!
    jorbear

Answer by jorbear at 9:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008