Irrational fear of hispanic men. Please read before you judge me on this.

When I was 15 years old I was attacked in a park by a Hispanic man. He had a knife and kept telling me he just wanted to touch me in broken english. I was save ironically by a man with an ax. His name was Tony and I never got to thank him. Anyway the man that attacked me was never found. My hands were cut up pretty good, and I got it in the knee and couldn't walk right for weeks. Since then I have had counseling. I was told that its an irrational fear that i have to face head on. I'm about to be 25, and the anniversary of the incident is Feb 10. I have tired to face it head on. I get so nervous that I cant talk and I start to shake and sweat. I don't know what else to do! I'm tired of being scared. I have Hispanic neighbors.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• cont: I know that they are nice guys, but they scare the shit out of me. They said hi one day and I all but ran from them. They didn't do anything to me. I still freak out when people come up behind me. I freaked out in the middle of the mall one day cause a friend grabbed my shoulders. I'm at my whits end. I need some help or something!
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way...i hate to say that i am racist but i have had bad experiences with blacks too so i also dont really trust them either...
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you need to find a better counselor. If you have a true and real fear of something, those that help you should be willing to do whatever they have to in order to help you heal. I know it doesn't help at all...but the majority of Hispanic people are very kind and loving and keep to themselves and their families. My boyfriend is Hispanic and there's only one non-Hispanic person in his family other than me (his SIL). I'm sorry that one man had to ruin it all for you, it's not fair what happened to you :(

Try asking your doctor if there are any anti-anxiety meds you could take, or if they could refer you to a new counselor. I think with the proper help, you should be able to get rid of your fear. Good luck =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I just dont want to be scared. I don't like judging someone base off what someone else did to me a a girl. I don't think its fair and I don't think I would be much of an example to my son if I go screaming every time a Hispanic man comes around me. Everyone else I give a chance. I never take a first impression, cause they are never right. I don't know what to do to NOT be afraid.
    Anonymous

• It sounds logical. Are you sure you don't have post traumatic stress disorder? When you have that, anything that reminds you of something tragic makes you have flashbacks. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I'm sorry it made you afraid of hispanic men. Not all of them are like that. There are creeps in every racial group.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree with LaurenKaye29 about the post traumatic. And also with another poster who suggested another counselor. My next thought would be is there someone that you trust absolutely that has a hispanic friend or relative that perhaps they could bring around so you could meet them, kind of slowly get used to the idea of being around someone hispanic? Maybe some exposure to hispanic people that are known to be trustworthy, honest, and good will help you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• How do you know this man was hispanic. No offense but there are many people in this country that speak broken English. There are many people that may appear hispanic but they aren't. Did you judge that by their skin color or just because he spoke broken English. You know I was sexually assaulted by a white man, but I don't judge anyone for his actions. If that was the cause I would have never married my husband now, because he is white. We can't just judge people by their color that is not right. You need to face this problem head on and if you want to practice you can practice with me, because I am hispanic. I disapprove of racism and I don't think that people may judge me just because I am hispanic. I am sorry to hear that this happen to you, but you can't go on in life judging us for what one person did, and who is to say that he was hispanic?
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 8:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes I knew he was Hispanic. He wasn't asian or black or even white! He was a heavy set Hispanic male with a THICK spanish accent! I can tell you what he was wearing and I can remember that assholes face! Every time I think about it I get all panicky, and my heart races. I have tried facing it head on, and it doesn't work. I do have some hispanic friends. And a few male, but it took me over a year just to feel right around them by myself and they have never held that against me. I never said that I hated hispanic people, I get scared of hispanic men. There's a huge difference.So before you call me a racist know what the hell you are talking about. I will take the advice of they other nice ladies. I will talk to the doctor about meds.
    Anonymous

• The counselor said that I didn't need them so I never thought about it. But I will have to see about a new counselor. I haven't been in years and I don't know if my insurance will pay for it. I have pretty basic stuff. And I will talk with my friend and see what she thinks about the slow intro to some of her male family members. She has always been there for me and supportive with my little freak outs. Never held them against me.
    Anonymous

• I am sorry you are having to go through this and believe me I have been through it myself, because I like I mentioned I was assaulted by a white man. I didn't say you were a racist I was simply saying that I don't agree with racism.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 11:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009