do yo feel like people look at you and think down on you?

I had to go earlier to take the pregrnancy test so i could get proof of pregnancy so i could apply for medicaid of Chip prenatal insurance. Both my husband and i work full time but we don't have medical insurance through where we work, and medical bills are too expensive to pay for out of pocket for a pregnancy. So i am going to apply for medicaid of the chip program. The nurse that did the test, told me to next time get back on my birth control. Like my pregnancy was a burden. I have never had medicaid before. With my first i was on chip, and they dropped me and the baby right after she was born. cont in answer one.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Health care is extremely expensive and so are the doctors, it is not fair that some people are fortunate enough to have full medical insurance and some don't that doesn't mean they shouldn't be ALLOWED to have children, that is crazy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I agree with her statement here.
    Just because someone needs help to pay the greedy doctors for the 10 minutes they allow you; has absolutely nothing to do with you having a baby.
    No one should be forced to take birth control or feel like they should. Egnore the nurse and try to egnore the rude women in here that are probably on welfare when you and your husband both work.
    Did you go to a planned parenting clinic? They are all baby killers anyways. Of course she would be a rude witch.
    Don't feel ashamed because you need help. Like you said; you work and so does your husband.
    Jesusiswelcome

Answer by Jesusiswelcome at 9:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• cont ...I had to reapply to keep it on her. And i didn't. I purchased a plan through unicare for her. I do not try to live off the govt. or the state. I just can't affor $400.00 per visit throguh out the pregnancy. That just really irritated me when she said that. Just because i don't have health insurance doesn't mean i can't provide for my kids . Has that ever happened to anyone?
    Anonymous

• I've been looked down upon many times because I'm a 20-year-old Medicaid-using formula-feeding plus-sized agnostic mother in an unwed interracial relationship. Take your pick.

Some people are just cruel and should be smacked for not accepting people from all walks of life.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• So if medical bills are too expensive to pay out of pocket, why are you having another child that you can't provide medical care for? Maybe the nurse could have been kinder but she's seeing another chunk of taxes taken out of her pay check to pay for your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• I kind of have to agree. Why have another child that you cannot afford health care for?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yup, had to get medicaid also, Have Graves Disease, also because I am Hispanic and right now here in Arizona they assume anyone who is brown must be illegal. Don't worry about what people think, remember the only opinion that counts is YOURS.
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Sheri: No one every said that life was fair... and those of us that do have medical insurance are paying for it one way or another....even if it "comes with the job", WE are paying for it...by lower wages, deductions, etc. I've changed jobs because my husband was losing his benefits and no one would hire someone with his medical problems. Not something I wanted to do but something I HAD to do. No one said OP shouldn't have kids....the question was raised as to why they expected the rest of us to pay for their birth?
    Anonymous

• I agree completely with your nurse, who told you to stay on bc. If you cannot afford insurance then you cannot afford a child. And all that comes with it. If you were looked down upon, well then too bad. If you only feel you were looked down upon then that is your own conscience telling you that you knew better at the time. Healthcare is wicked expensive because everyone who does actually pay their bills, also get to make up for the losses for those who are NOT paying their own bills. Whether you feel like you were treated unfairly or not, I am sure that healthcare provider was sick and tired with today's economic woes to see yet another somewhat educated woman in 2009 appear before her with an unplanned pregnancy when free birthcontrol is available just down the road. AGAIN, at taxpayer's expense. Thank you for allowing me to help support another child I will never see.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i feel some of these women are being harsh. we all pay for the birth of a child that is covered by state assistance even the op cause she pays taxes so why not get back what she puts in. it's not her fault the government has not improved the health care system. it's ridiculous what the dr and hospitals charge. i had a dr come in tell me his name and ask me how i was doing. i said better. he charged me over $150. just for that exchange of words. if i knew this i would of locked the door to my room to avoid a silly charge like that. i don't care and i'm happy your having a baby. if i can't use my tax money the way i want and the government throw it on bail outs then at least the op and i should have the use of assistance cause hey i pay for it in my taxes. we all do so why not all of us use the system and take advantage.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009