Does anyone know of a hospital in Nassau County, Long Island that offers waterbirths? I delivered at Mercy Medical Center the first time and would like to try a more natural approach the second time around.

Lukesmom630

Asked by Lukesmom630 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know much about the area, but I do know that it will be hard to get a water birth in a hospital. Many hospitals will allow you to labor in a tub, if they offer it, but their malpractice insurers often forbid birthing in the tubs. So you'll probably have to get out to birth.

You can try a freestanding birth center (just as safe, if not safer than a hospital) but I've had a hard time locating one in your area - birth centers are having trouble financially at this time.

Another option to consider is home birth. You can definitely have a waterbirth in your home, and a midwife is a great attendant for a low-risk normal birth. You can try contacting this midwife to answer any questions you might have about birthing at home, safety and waterbirth:
    http://www.nyhomebirth.com/jeanette.html
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2008