Any mom's considering having an only child?

I"m pregnant with my first. My DH and I used to say we'd only have 1 kid and of course, we can't know how we're going to feel once we're parents, but I think we've changed our tune and probably want more. I was talking to two co-workers today (both only children and grown men) and both were going on and on about how much they love being only children. One even said he notices that all his friends seem to have very awkward relationships with their siblings. Thinking about it, that seems true of most people I know...Have you thought about having an only child? Why? Do you have an only child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I currently have an only child. I am not sure what the future holds. We have always said just one but we haven't done anything permanent yet because I can never make up mind that well. I am going to give it a few more years so I don't regret the decision later...
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 5:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was an only child and I think it's depressing. My kids don't have any Uncles or Aunts on my side... no cousins, etc. I'm glad my Hubby wasn't the only b/c our kids would be so alone! I personally would never want an only child. We're having our third, we lost our second but we at least wanted one sibling for our son.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was an only child and it was alright. I often wish I had a sibling though so my kids would have an uncle or aunt or cousins on my side. My dh is also an only child so it makes for a small extended family.

Answer by gemgem at 5:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am one of four but when I was born I lived with my grandma not my mom and my siblings lived with my mom. I moved back in when I was about 8, but never had the same bond with them. I always envied them for that. My grandma loved me soo much and spoiled the crap out of me, so when I moved in with my mom I had to share her affection and everything else I had. My sisters and brother where fine with the amount of attention they got, but it made my relationship suffer with my mom... never felt like she loved me, in comparison to what I got from my grandma. So there's pros and cons both ways. There's also a lot more to this awnser, from someone who's had it both ways, message me if you want to know more.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I always planned on having several children, and probably still will...however, I hate that I won't be able to do the same things with the next baby that I can do with my son now (unless I wait 18 years before having another). If he needs to, I can several hours letting him nurse/fall asleep/nurse/fall asleep. I can focus my entire day on his needs and his needs alone. Not only will I have to take some attention AWAY from him when I have another, but that baby won't be getting the same treatement that #1 got. That's not necessarily bad, but it's something I think I will definitely be aware of, and it already bugs me. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• When I was little I always wished I had been an only child. Now that I am grown up I thank God for my brothers. When you can't tell mom and dad you can tell your sibling, they never judge and they are the best partners in crime : )
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am an only child and it seemed cool at first. But as I grew up I began to realize my children would have no aunts or uncles especially if the father is an only child. Siblings are like best friends. There is nothing like having that family bond as you grow up.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 6:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was "surprised" with this pregnancy, so yes, I am planning on this one being an only child! If it stays that way, great. If not then we'll see what happens!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009