No means Yes! EXCUSE ME!

OK so my 8 year old son was bugging the crap out of me to go to a friends house. I have no problem with the friend but I just didn't want him out. Anyway I finally snap and Tell him NO MEANS NO! He turns to me and says No mean yes! EXCUSE ME! I asked him where in the hell he heard that! Know what he told me! Spongebob! OH pissed doesn't even begin to cover it!! I sure sat him down for a nice talk about No means NO! No exceptions. I never thought that a child would take Ques from TV, and that good parenting skills will be what determines how a child acts. I do censor what he watches, but I didn't think that I would have to censor Spongbob! I mean other then the talk how do I handle this. Should I write the network and complain or let it go!? I

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let it go. Even if you write it won't do anything. He's 8 and is old enough to understand that you meant no.
    Anonymous

• LMAO he would have heard it at school if not on spongebob. My kids used to say that too and spongebob wasnt even on the air. Its a popular phrase among the kids. I guess you can write and complain but it isnt the TV or Networks job to teach your child right from wrong. Sit his butt down and tell him its a TV show, cartoon, not real and Spongebob doesnt talk to his parents that way. Then put him in time out, or ground him.
    Anonymous

• stop letting him watch spongebob. this is why i don't let my son watch it. spongebob is immature. yeah you might say it's a little kids show, it won't hurt anything. ha! i don't believe it. kids learn alot through tv. we had to stop watching Supernanny because my son started acting like the kids, only the bad stuff. we stopped watching it and he improved, with some discipline. if there's a cartoon on that i don't like how they're acting (like spongebob) i refuse to let my son watch it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You better believe that I will not let him watch that show anymore. I mean he doesn't watch that much TV anyway. Man I was floored by that!
    Anonymous

• slow down fireball! ;-)
    I think you are sort of overreacting. you've said your peace to him now let it go.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think you're blowing it way out of porportion...he will learn WAY worse things at school. We can't shield our children forever.
    Anonymous

• I can't stand spongebob - we don't watch it at my house!
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Spongebob is pure crud. My stepson is only allowed to watch it when I'm not around (i.e. he's in his room) to hear Spongebob's annoying voice and lousy punchlines.
    Anonymous

• Yes I'm sure if you write Nickelodeon that they will just rip SpongeBob right off their network!! No means yes was simply part of the opposite day episode.... Whatever you are his mom and if you don't want him to watch it then don't but thinking you can change something by writing the network a letter is a little nuts i think!! However I love SpongeBob and we will keep watching it at my house!!!

scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• lil over the top IMO. if you apparently monitor his tv time and shows you wouldve known what that episode is about. it was part of opposite day. we watch spongebob and sometimes im rolling on the floor because of the lousy punchlines.
    Anonymous