?? quick question

Anyone have a c-section and breastfeed? The pills they give you for the pain are they safe for baby and how long is it safe to take them? Its been 2 an half Weeks and still in pain and afraid of them hurting baby. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on what pain meds. i breastfed my son while i was on percucet (sp?). i also breastfed my daughter while on vikodin (sp?)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• well i was put on purcocet too... and i ask my pediatrican and he said that it was okay only if you didnt use it too much. i stopped because it made my son very lathargec. i didnt feel comfortable with taking the medicine and breastfeeding
    cj1smommy

Answer by cj1smommy at 5:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Most women are given Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) or Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) after c-section. Both are safe if taken as directed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Did you tell them that you were planning on breastfeeding? They should have known NOT to give you anything that was bad for baby...but the best way to know for sure is to call your doc!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Go to the DR. ASAP if you have pain so bad you have to take meds 2 1/2 weeks after having the C-Section. Pain is an indicator of infection.
    llrey74

Answer by llrey74 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had a c-section and tried my hardest to breastfeed. I was on the pain pump in the hospital, but once I went home I never needed anything. I pumped till 6 weeks though and my doctor knew it and still gave me pain meds if I needed them. They may make your baby drowsy, but shouldn't hurt them.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had a c-section and breastfed. They gave me percocet and Motrin 800. They can' t hurt but don't be surprised if it makes baby a little sleepy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think your fine. I breastfed and took percocet and Motrin as well. I asked my doctor about it countless times, and it's fine. I had to take meds for about 3 1/2 weeks. I was in pain for a loooong time, no infection, it's just a major surgery and takes lots of time to recover from. My scar still hurts me when I work out. But were still breastfeeding and Anabelle is strong and healthy and just fine :)

I didnt like giving those nasty meds to her through my breastmilk either, but it's near impossible to not take them, I could barely walk WHILE taking them. You cant be a good mommy to your baby if your in too much pain, so keep up the good work :)
    Anonymous