How do I start the potty training process?

My daughter is going to be 22 months on the 13th of this month. For a couple of months now she has been pulling down her pants and diaper every time she goes 1 or 2. She has also started getting more comfortable with sitting on her potty bare bottom. On Jan. 1st she went in her potty for the first time. When she started going she got a little scared and wanted to stand up - since she was in the process, I sat her back down right away. Now she refuses to sit on her potty at all. I'm afraid I made her first time using the potty an unpleasant event.

How can I get her comfortable with using her potty so that we can start the potty training process?

How do I start the potty training process in general?

cmolinar

Asked by cmolinar at 5:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get a timer, set it for every hour or half hour,and every time it goes off make a big deal that it's "POTTY TIME!". if you see her having to go, even though it's not potty time yet, try to sit her down. if she refuses cuz it's not "potty time" yet, be sneaky and when she turns her back make the timer go off. lol. you can also do potty treats. like the mini marshmellows, or m&m's. when she goes #1 in the potty, she gets 1 treat. when she goes #2 in the potty she gets 2 treats. or you can do a potty chart and put stickers on there, so she can look at her potty chart and see how many times she's gone potty and how she's improving. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Another good motivator is bubbles. My daughter pee's for bubbles and then we give her a sticker to put on her little potty. We rented a video from the library that has a cool potty song and we sing that while we're on our way to the bathroom.
    clapan

Answer by clapan at 10:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I bought a little potty, set it in our living room...where she spends most of her time, never mentioned it. Eventually she started getting curious, and wanted to know what it was. So, I proceeded to sit on it and "go peepee in the potty." After that day, if she had to potty, she did..and we made a big fuss over it. It makes them feel so good. Also, have them help you dump the potty, flush it byebye, and wash hands. It makes them feel really good when they're involved!! Good luck.
    jamieobrien_84

Answer by jamieobrien_84 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Take off the diapers.
    Put on panties.
    Voila!

The fact that she's already taking off her diaper to go shows that she is MORE than ready. To get her on the toilet and keep her on the toilet, bring books, toys, or cups of warm water for her to dip her fingers in.

If she stands up, let her! It's easy enough to clean up - in fact, get her to help you clean it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• (BTW- I never did treats and had my LO out of diapers by 18 months.. Treats should be an absolute last resort reward system. The reward, really, is not having to change her pants!!)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009