I'm discouraged....what would you do?

Here's my situation. While in college, I was called for a good-paying job. I took it. That was 11 years ago. I suffered from depression for many years after taking this job. It had good pay. I went from $13/hr, to $16 to $22 in the 10 years I was there. But I was depressed and suffered from insomnia as well. All these years, I've tried seeking out my purpose, my passion. I took up nursing...business mgmt...cosmetology. But those weren't my calling. I've thrown away thousands of dollars trying to find my niche. Well...I still haven't. I know now EXACTLY what I want to do and that's to get into real estate development/construction. I went to another state after quitting my job to join the carpentry union, but they had no work available. At this point what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess I can relate because Ive been there. Sometimes you think you are in the job of your dreams you make money and it doesnt make you happy. As we age some of us actually find a passion for something that makes us feel good about doing it, its not just a paycheck. I worked in cosmetology for 10 years and I could make up to 2 grand a week. I later learned it wasnt what made me happy. Once you find what makes you happy as you have just let the rest fall into place. I quit my job and just let God guide me and before I knew it I was enrolled in school for what I love doing. Sometimes you have to listen to what God is trying to tell you and not what other people say. I dont mean to sound religious lol but thats what happened to me.I could go find another job but I have sat still and listened and it has worked out miraculously for me.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 6:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Find a job that supports your family & grin and bare it.
    Anonymous

• I don't mean to be harsh but chasing after jobs is not going to make you happy. YOU have to make you happy. You aren't defined by what you do for a living but by how you LIVE your life. I would seriously consider counseling and the commitment to stay in one place for a while so that you can pick up the pieces and take care of YOU. Wishing you all the best....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 5:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Anonymous, you must not have any dreams or goals of your own. You probably just go with the flow, which is boring. So thanks, but no thanks to your boring reply.
    Anonymous

• Oh and btw, I no longer suffer from depression or insomnia b/c I no longer have that job. Counseling isn't needed. I knew what the problem was and got rid of it.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you're either running from something or chasing after something & don't quite know what it is. I really don't think changing jobs again is going to fix it. Maybe real estate IS your calling... but unless you deal with underlying things that have had you bouncing around & wasting all that money for all these years, you'll most likely fail or be miserable in real estate, too.

I have to agree with companygoddess on this one... and anon at the same time. I think you need counseling to figure out WHY you keep making these changes & not finding happiness... and while on that journey of discovery you need to find a stable job (whether you really enjoy it or not) and stick with it for your family.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Not to be mean, but it seems like you are very indecisive, and you have a family to feed. I would take one of the things that you HAVE learned and deal with one of those and work. There are millions of people that dont have it like you do and will clean a bathroom to get ahead. Stop being so spoiled and feed your family. All the other stuff if its meant to happen will end up happening, but in the right setting. It doesnt seem like its the right time for you to be branching out the way you want to. JMO.
    Anonymous

• There seems to be a misunderstanding. There's nothing I'm running from and I've only had one job, so there is no "bouncing around".

The reason I believe that I've sought out various interests is because as a child, I wasn't exposed to anything. I was naive in a lot of areas for a long time. When I finally realized that I wanted more from my life, other than working for someone else, doing the same thing everyday, I knew change was necessary. That simple. You won't know unless you try!

It doesn't take much thought to say, get a job and suck it up. That's easy to do. What I'm asking is, if you had a dream or aspiration, what would you do to attain it? What steps would you take? My original question has nothing to do with my past depression. As I knew the source of it and solved that problem. Does anyone understand that?
    Anonymous

• Thank you VaDivaMom! You're clearly someone OUTSIDE of the box who can actually understand what I've written.

Everyone is preaching, get a job, but the average person with a job is getting laid-off in this economy. So, that's not always the solution.

And my family IS taken care of! Just b/c I won't go out there and settle for some job doesn't mean that I'm neglecting my family or acting spoiled. I worked from the age 18 to 29 at the same job and I went from General clerk to Supervisor in 2 years. I'm always looking to grow. There's nothing spoil-like about me. I worked hard to get everything for me and my family.

Again VaDivaMom, I appreciate your intelligent response.
    Anonymous