Who owns CHILD SUPPORT payments. (this is a legal question)

I need to know who owns the child support payment the child or the custodial parent.

I need to know for the purpose of income verification. I know the child support is FOR the child but paid to the parent. I have an adult child who gets child support paid to me on her behalf by her father. She is disabled and SSI now considers her income in her calculations. Anyone know where I can find the answer???

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 6:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• The child support is YOUR "income", not hers.

Answer by missanc at 7:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• I worked w/adults who had disabilities, and the child support was counted as their income.
    kpav

Answer by kpav at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• When I applied for food stamps, WIC, etc. when I left my ex, they counted the child support as my income.

Answer by missanc at 7:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Sorry about the multiple posts - my 13 yo is disabled and gets SSI, according to them, the child support is also my income.

Answer by missanc at 7:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• I always thought it was the child's income unless it was back child support, then it is considered yours.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Child support is counted as the child's income in TX
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• I'd check with the IRS, and your state regarding that question.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2011

• I asked the department of child support services and they say the child support belongs to the custodial parent.

(I need something in writing) Some sort of legal ruling for the state of California.
    SFerber

Comment by SFerber (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2011

• Child support, for minors, belongs to the custodial parent. I would think that an adult child's child support may actually be considered their own income for SSI purposes. Have you asked the SSI office directly? They're supposed to have case workers to help you through the application process.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 10:42 AM on Dec. 9, 2011