Can you believe in Evolution and be a Christian?

Just food for thought....call it a stupid question. I just want to know others thoughts on this.

HomeBoundMama

Asked by HomeBoundMama at 11:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh, my answer......I do not believe that PEOPLE came from evolution.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 11:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Sorry, and I am a christian!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 11:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I believe that some species have adapted over time but within there own species. The universe is to intricate our bodies to intricate to be anything but divine design.  You spilt an atom and have an atomic bomb yet the universe is held together.  The stars are set on a systematic path everything is in rhythm.  Coincidence or God
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 11:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• impo, no.
    Couldn’t God Have Used Evolution?
    http://answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/couldnt-god-have-used-evolution
    "When we consider the possibility that God used evolutionary processes to create over millions of years, we are faced with serious consequences: the Word of God is no longer authoritative, and the character of our loving God is questioned.
    Already in Darwin’s day, one of the leading evolutionists saw the compromise involved in claiming that God used evolution, and his insightful comments are worth reading again. Once you accept evolution and its implications about history, then man becomes free to pick and choose which parts of the Bible he wants to accept."
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• No, I dont believe so.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 12:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Ok I do believe in both. Now dont jump me, bc I am not saying that humans came from apes and if you do your research even scientists are not claiming this. But in my opinion humans have evolved. Look at the medical advances and technology in our time why....because the human mind has evolved and gotten better. Evolution(in general) is scientifically proven...again most people only think of human from ape evolution when the topic of evolution is brought up! Thats not what I am saying. I believe is God and I believe he has a purpose for everything, believing in evolution does not mean I do not believe in God or Jesus. But that is my opinion. Please dont slam me as I am not slamming anyone else's beliefs!!!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• "Look at the medical advances and technology in our time why....because the human mind has evolved and gotten better."

Really? Have you ever studied some of the technologies of the past? (btw I'm not slamming you :) ) Gosh look at Noah and the Ark. He built that with just his sons. I don't think we've evolved I think we have just found easier ways to do things. Along with that I think God has given us different means and ideas to meet the needs of our day. I don't know, to me to say we've just evolved makes it sound like God put us here and just stood back and let us go, kwim?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 2:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Anubi,good answer, I disagree. But, still good answer. See...we don't need to bash on here...we can agree to disagree!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 2:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• there are some that do it is called theistic evolution. There are several theories but in general it says the days of creation were not 24 hour days and evolution did happen but it was started and controlled by GOd.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 4:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Many people have different opinions and I respect them all. Being in the animal/science field a lot of my research has been on things that we have physical evidence for, that is what I am used to. That doesn't mean that I don't have "faith" as without it how would I still believe in god. Many of us do believe in God. I also believe in physical evidence. The Flood in the bible is very comparable to the "floods" of religions from cultures that stemmed long before christianity as well. Since Noah's Ark has not been located I will not use that to compare to something that is in physical exsistense. And if God didn't put us here and just let us be, then explain free will to me. Like I said, I am a religious person but that doesnt mean that I will discredit physical evidence. In the same breath, being a scientist in my eyes does not mean that I have to discredit things that don't have evidence either, after all that is the purpose of a scientist to figure things out...right?? Just saying.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2008