How to get started in couponing?

ANy tips? I realize one cannot start out and expect to save like the people on "Extreme Couponing" yet everyone at one point got started someowhere, my question is, where and how? Any tips on this?

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Before you even start,, MAKE sure that there is a store that "doubles" them,,, if not in your area (NONE in my town),, just use them for things you would usually buy,, and when it is on sale.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Okay, I'm in CA, so I don't know the rules here, there is a Wal Mart, Vons and Albertsons in my town so thats where I get my groceries at. I heard the laws in CA are different supposedly than others?
    Jeda624

Comment by Jeda624 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• a great link is www.coupondivas.com they have tons of links, and store matchups and links to other coupon sites as well :)
    alcnic2011

Answer by alcnic2011 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Just google double cupouns in your area,, and if you can't find one,, that does not mean they won't save you money, but it will be hard to do extreme!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Sunday papers and sometimes Wednesday papers are great for coupons. There are tons of coupon websites. Check out the sites for some of you favorite products ... they usually have coupons on them.

Be sure you pay attention to what is written on the coupon. They are sneaky. In HUGE print it will read 75 cents off and smaller print under that, ON THREE BOXES.

One more thing to keep in mind. If you really want to save money. Look for coupons on things you actually buy or use.

Don't even get me started on that stupid show .....
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• The 1st thing is to talk to the store managers at the stores you could or do shop at. Find out if they double q's, if they offer store q's, do they accept competitor q's, do they have online q's. Then, can you stack comp/store q with manufacturers q. What does the store do in the event of an overage, give it to you, or change the q? Is there a limit on the amount of the same q you can use & do they limit the total amount of q's you can use per transaction, also do they have a limit on each sale item. If the store offers BOGO's can you use a q for each item, or just 1?

Once you find these things out, it's like a game. Remember that the sale is what is going to save you the most $$, so get into the cycle of stocking up on sale items, enough to get you through until the next time that item goes on sale. You will soon learn your favorite stores sale cycle like your kids middle name's. CONT.............
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• Most cycle every 12 to 16 weeks. It will take a while to get into real savings while you build up some stock & collect q's. Train your kids to help you scour the store for blinkies & store q displays (Publix is the best for this) Remember to grab them in quantities of 2 or 4 so you can use them on BOGO's if allowed.

I really hate the show & I think shelf clearers are so rude & inconsiderate. If your store allows it & you want a huge amount of something, you can ask them to order it for you. Most stores get trucks at least twice a week. Get a rain check for the items you have ordered to make sure you have it at the sale price if it is toward the end of the sale. Also, keep a list of things that are out so you can get a rain check for them, that extends your sale price on that item for a month! Oh, & internet q's are usually better than the one's in newspapers, but it's nice 2 have both. (out of room, GL!)
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2011

• You won't be able to do it at Walmart...they do not double coupons and some will not take printed coupons either- one of the ones I worked at would not take them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2011