co-ed slumber party/sleepovers

my friend's daughter (15) had a slumber party last month with 5 girls and 1 boy. The boy that came is gay and recently came out (and it isn't a big surprise that he is). She said that she didn't see anything wrong with it. She doesn't see why my husband and I won't let our gay son go on a weekend visitation with her daughter to her father's house (my friend is divorced and they do every other weekend visitation). I'm having a little trouble with this one. What are your thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my thoughts is ihave a very best friend that is a guy that used to stay at my house sometimes. never slept in the same room. i'd sleep in my room he'd sleep in the living room. but we had so much fun having sleep overs and hanging out and just being our goofy selves. just because a guy and a girl are best friends doesn't mean they have feelings for each other. And the boy is gay. although that could change because he is still young... i would see no problem with it :)
    Anonymous

• Even though the boy is gay that does not mean that he still not curious about the other sex. I would not be comfortable sending my daughter away for a weekend with a gay boy friend. I have known many people who thought they where gay in highschool, but ended up with the opposite sex.
    Anonymous

• My BFF is gay. We met sophomore year in HS. He isn't interested in girls like that. He is my closest confidant. He never gets bitchy or catty like women. Someone once called me a 'fag hag" So be it. Mom as long as you are comfortable with it let the friendship grow. Dads have more issues with gay sons..it's a guy thing.
    Anonymous

• My dd's BF is gay, I have no problem with her sleeping at his house but she sleeps in his sisters room. For me the issue of boy/girl sleepovers is the possibility of what could happen, with a gay friend those possibilities are almost non-exsistant, and as long as some precaution is taken then I see no problem with it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well I have always seen the problem with mixed gender sleepovers as the possibility of them having sex, if he is gay that is not going to happen, so why not?
    Anonymous

• gay or no gay boys and girls at this age dont need to be sleeping over, what happens if he wants to try to swing in the hetero direction. I wouldnt risk it.
    Anonymous