I ahd a hard time breastfeeding w/ my first kid I didn't make enough and it hurt for like 2 to 3 months that I did breastfeed I had to also start her w the bottle becouse of insufficient milk. Im pregnant and due in april should I just start the baby on the bottle are try to breastfeed again??

MELLIEMEL24

Asked by MELLIEMEL24 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh you should really try again. I am so happy that you would consider trying again!! Every prgnancy is different and you may have more milk production this time around. Just make sure the little one is latched on properly to avoid any pain. The worst case scenario..you can't breastfeed even after trying again but hey nothing ventured, nothing gained. Either way your child is being fed. Good luck to you.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had similar issues and successfully breastfeed my other children. I would try if you want to. The real question is do you want to or are you looking for permission not to even try? There is no shame in just not wanting to do it. Do what YOU feel is right.

Answer by gemgem at 6:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would DEFINITELY try to breastfeed again! You have nothing to lose by trying, and everything to gain! Your body could cooperate better this time, plus, since you know what you're up against, you can look into some options for assistance, like a local lactation consultant. Make sure you ask lots of questions in the hospital and see if you can call with any in the future (I know I could do that with mine, but I guess they're all different!). Breastfeeding is hard, but it's also one of the most rewarding things you will ever do, for both of you! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I couldnt breast feed my first he was in the NICU and couldnt suck and I tried to pump but nothing really came out. I tried with my second and it hurt but I also didnt really have much come out. I wish I would have tried harder. This baby I am going to try my hardest because I really want to. I am going to try to ebf so that it doesnt confuse her.
    Anonymous

• I suggest that you try. I breast fed two children, and bottle fed two. I think you should contact your local chapter of breast support. Tell them what you experienced in the past, and ask for help this time around. You can even get some support now, learning some different holds and such. They really want to help, many of them believe so much in it. There are all sorts of reasons why your attempts last time did not work. I am sure that with the amount of time that you dedicated, it wasn't thru any fault of your own. You may need help learning how to latch the baby on properly. I have an inverted nipple and wound up feeding the last baby from only one breast at the end. You can do it, you just need someone to patiently help you.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 6:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Good luck to you, Anonymous: having that much dedication and want-to will help you be all the more successful.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Try again, and make sure baby is latched on right....they should have more than just the nipple in their mouth, if they do that should help with pain....Best wishes to you. I was unable to bf my second but did my third.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009