what should i do about my babies rash?

my baby is 3mths old. lately she tends to spit up alot and it always runs down her chin and now she has delevoloped a really bad rash under chin, her cheeks, and along her neck. what is the best way to get rid of it?

mari_mommie

Asked by mari_mommie at 6:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Put a little Vasaline on her chin to create a barrier between the spit up and her skin. The same thing happened to my son and this worked like a charm!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Keeping the area clean & dry is key. I would keep a bib on her at all times so that any spit up etc will land on that. You also will probably need to be changing her shirt often to keep that area dry. You can try using baby powder to keep the area dry and if that doesnt work I have been known to use diaper rash meds or Gold Bond on their necks. Rashes are caused by the same things normally and thats being wet for a long period of time.

Answer by gemgem at 6:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Oh and after you wipe her a clean for bed at night put on a layer of unscented oatmeal based lotion such as Aveeno.
    happyathomemum

• I always used Chap Stick on the kids, like the moisturizer one or the cherry/strawberry, never the medicated or tinted one.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I got this stuff that looks like its a mini-deodorant. Its Johnsons soothing naturals balm.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My dd had a rash on her neck from the same type thing. Doc said to wip it down with a wet cloth then put hydrocortizison cream (spelling?) on it. Another good tip is to put aquaphor or lanolin on her chin, checks, neck, etc to help prevent the rash. It's prefectly safe to put the cream on then cover it with the lotion to prevent it from getting worse. I perfer the lanolin b/c I know it's safe if it gets in baby's mouth, but my doc recommended the aquaphor specifically for the teething/drooling rashes.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i second the bib use as well as aquaphor.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 10:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i know that NYSTATIN OINTMENT WORKS REALLY WELL! thats what he used on my son when he was a baby! it worked great... JUST LIKE MY 9 MONTH OLD KEEPS DIAPER RASHES, AND WE TOLD THE DOCTOR ABOUT IT AND HE KEPT GIVING HIM THE NYSTATIN CREAM, WHICH DIDNT DO ANYTHING FOR THE RASH! AND MY FRIEND HAD SOME NYSTATIN OINTMENT AND GIVE IT TO US, AND IT WORKED WONDERS... HONESTLY!!! YOU COULD TRY TALKING TO YOUR CHILD'S DOCTOR ABOUT IT AND TRYING IT OUT....
    ashley205

Answer by ashley205 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2009