dry skin /cats

my 6 year old cat has never had this but he has patches of dry skin all the way up from the base of his tail to almost his neck..right on his spine..i know it's driving him nuts.......the skin is almost scabby.?? what can i put on it and what causes it?

dottief13

Asked by dottief13 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Not sure but I would love to know this. My cat is over 10 years old and he has had this all his life and now he gets patches of clumpy hair on his back. I have to brush it out (which he hates) but he thanks me later. Good luck Mama!!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Have you tried hydrocortisone? My dog gets dry patches and I just spray her with some.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• he used to get the patches, he loves to be brushed, now i'm afraid tooo cause i will open up his scabs......

where do you get the hydrocortisone for pets..?? won't that sting if it's open in spots..??
    dottief13

Answer by dottief13 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Are the patches symmetrical on both sides? If so it may be a thyroid issue. Have you taken her to your vet lately? Is she pulling it out? Do you have a good flea prev. on her? You can find a hydrocort. shampoo at Walmart in the pet section. I have one that is for cats and dogs. Bath her once a week in it and it will relieve her. Also the vet has 3V caps you can put on her food, it is fish oil and good for the skin/coat.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009