How young is too young to get pregnant?

I don't want to seem like a judgemental person cause I don't think I am. Please don't make this nasty it's just a question. How young is too young to start trying to have a baby? I have come across a few people who are not out of high school trying to get pregnant by their high school boyfriend. I can't help but think of the people I knew in my high school who got pregnant and no longer with the daddy. I can understand an "accident" but actually trying blows my mind.

Before you tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I became pregnant the month after I graduated high school. My story has a happy ending I am married to her dad, going back to school and trying for our second baby. I know I am lucky and how many stories do not have happy endings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Once you have a stable job, insurance, and relationship. That's truly not possible until at least 18 at the earliest and that is very rare
    Anonymous

• I dont understand it either, although I was a teen mom, I did not try to get pregnant...I had my DD at 16, he father and I have been together for almost 18 years, she is 16 now and we have 2 other children...I too am going to school to be a RN, on my 3rd semester now.
    We joke about doing everything backwards but we are happy.
    I wish these girls would wait until they are done with their higher education then have a baby with someone they love and loves them the same. But to each their own...Some girls and women are born to be mothers, I do believe that. If they do it to catch their man, I wish they would think twice.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I agree that you should be at least 18. At least you are old enough to vote and rent an apartment and own a vehicle. Although 18 is young it is still considered an adult.
    redheadedmommie

Answer by redheadedmommie at 6:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You are old enough to become pregnant when you can stand on your own 2 feet financially and emotionally. That means no relying on public assitance, parents, etc. It also means that you recognize that motherhood will take over YOUR life and will do so for the next 60 or so years...until you pass on...it's a lifelong job.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 6:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 20
    Anonymous

• When you have a husband. If the 16 year old boy wants to MARRY this girl (AND actually has a ring on her finger and a way to provide for her) then fine, I think they could go for it.

But let's get real, that DOESN'T happen. I don't understand why all of these stupid girls somehow think that THEY are the exception.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 6:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• this is hard for me to answer because i was 18 when i married and 19 when i got an "oops" pregnancy with TWINS. i am now 21 and trying for our 3rd and last child. DH is in the Navy and we are going great. what i hate to see are girls who haven't even graduated high school and are actively trying to have a baby. they don't even understand the resposibility and hardship that having a child so young causes. they don't want the baby half the time...they just like the idea of it.

i hate to be judgemental and i think that age doesn't matter 100% when it comes to how well some is as a parent, but it sure has a lot to do with it. i say wait until you are ready to be 100% selfless and give that child/children EVERYTHING they need and not everything you want!
    sarahkaystone

Answer by sarahkaystone at 7:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't understand it either, I just don't think its fair to do that to your parents (if you are not able to support yourself). I had my daughter half way through my senior year, I guess you could say I was trying to get pregnant because I was not trying to prevent and I knew I would end up prego eventually. But I had my own money and was able to support myself and I am now married to the father. All I ever wanted was to be a mom and I felt I was ready. I do wish I didn't have her until after I graduated though. That was the toughest fking semester of school in my life! I wanted to quit. But I made with a really good gpa and I am happily a stay at home mom...for now =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It is too young to try if you cant support your child. if you want to party on the weekend... when you are self abosorbed and dont think about putting your child first. there are some people out there thirty years old that are still mentally too young for a child.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 8:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I really dont know what is wrong with those teenage girls who try to get pregnant! If they only knew how hard it is!!!!! It is sad because they get bored with the baby and the poor kid is the one who suffers.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 9:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009