My daughter is 11 turning 12 in October.Can she date at this age.I really would like to find out

beauty410

Asked by beauty410 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well yes.Its really not like them to have sex.Well they are getting older and pretty soon they with be in high school or middle.Thats where you look out for your children.You never now.Your awesome girl that gets straight as might end up getting pregnet.If i were you i would tak to them to tell them about sex.
    beauty410

Answer by beauty410 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Date... as in going somewhere with a boy? I wouldn't. The closest I would get is letting her go the mall with a group of girls that are planning to meet a group of boys.

A lot of times kids that age saying "we're going together" or "going out" and that just means they talk on MySpace or the phone. I think that's okay.

I wouldn't allow the actual date thing with my son and he'll be 13 in November.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 11:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Not alone with a boy...but if they are just talking on the phone or on myspace, and sitting with each other at lunch, maybe going to do group activities together I would think that was ok. Be sure to have the sex talk with her tho.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My 10 yr old, soon to be 11 tells me she has a BF in her class. I think its puberty and kids go thru that phase but i make it clear to her that she's not allowed to date or kiss etc. i have set some rules for her and no after school get-togethers either. She sees him in class everyday and they're good friends, sometimes i let them talk on the phone(supervised) for a limited time and thats it.
    She's only 10, she doesnt need to go hang out with friends at this age.
    She might not like it but its my duty as a parent to guide her.
    jerusha74

Answer by jerusha74 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• In my opinion, that age is just way too young! Going to the movies with a group of friends or to the mall, supervised is fine, but a "typical" date is just too young for an 11/12 year old. 15 or 16 is more like it!!!
    Anonymous

• you are her mom. so you tell me. and her.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Not a chance. Way too young. My oldest daughter is 11 as well. It hasn't come up yet for us. I imagine it will soon. My husband and I have decided that she can go places with friends in groups but no couple stuff. At 11, they are just not emotionally ready for that kind of stuff. No Facebook or Myspace either, my daughter has MSN but we are always in the room with her when she's on it.
    sammysunshine72

Answer by sammysunshine72 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• That's entirely up to you. Personally, I think she's WAY too young. A group outing in the day with boys and girls (not in dating pairs!) might be OK but even that is pushing it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• That's a dumb question! Are you ready to be a grandma or something?
    Anonymous

• What's the rush to grow up?
    Think about who she might be dating. Boys who are 15 or 16? When she's alone with them would she be able to stand up for herself if she gets into an uncomfortable or dangerous situation?
    12 years old is way too young for one on one dating.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 1:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2008