why was the unschooling question deleted?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 6:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know... Didn't notice that it was.

I hadn't checked it lately...maybe someone said something ugly.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• didnt see it

Answer by gemgem at 6:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I saw it....some of the answers were borderline uncivil when I read the thread. It may have escalated....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The answers all seemed really reasonable last time I saw it. Can't say anything about homeschooling without someone getting nasty, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• What is unschooling... I mean i get homeschooling.. School at home.. but unschooling? I'm not very familiar with
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 7:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't ever go into the Questions section......... BUT I am slightly familiar with Unschooling, I joined the cafemom group for it. Thinking about doing it for my 3 year old daughter since she didn't score low enough to get into preschool.

Now I really wish I read the question and all the replies........someone update me please?!?
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 9:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Unschooling is child-led learning. If the child shows interest in horses or dinosaurs or bugs, you pursue the interests of the child. Parents will introduce subjects too, but generally follows the child's interest.

If a child likes horses, the parent takes the kids horseback riding, reads books about horses, watches documentaries about horses, studies art with horses in it, discusses the size and weight of horses, the care and feeding of horses, the history of horses, etc.

All children have interests, and an interested child is a learning child.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I didn't see the post about unschooling, but I think I would have liked to. We do a form of unschooling in that we don't have a set in stone curriculum that we follow everyday. You are right, mancosmamma, and I think until you have had a child who struggles with the desire to learn, you can't really understand why parents would unschool their children.
    Anonymous

• We are unschooling our children. What it means to unschool **for us** is to work with the child, teaching **SKILLS** needed. But for the rest history, science, literature ect it is decided by the child **mostly**. For example, my middle son suddenly discovered Hitler and informed himself all about the Nazi's and what they did. I didn't teach that. What I did was guide him and watch him and explain why it was wrong. I also provided resources for him. He then went on to learn about German history, geography, and moved on to Russia. He has much more knowledge then I ever did on this subject.
    My older son is more complicated. He is interested in everything. So, he reads about everything. He is a sponge. :) My daughter is much less complicated....she wants to know everything and right now if you please. Just like mom. Unschooling is just doing school differently.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009