Camera Question-underexposed pictures

I have a Canon Rebel XTI. Today, it started processing underexposed pictures with any shutter speed over 1/20. This is using the creative modes, not the auto modes. I have to use the flash in order to get a decently bright picture using a faster shutter speed. If I turn the flash off, even in a very bright house, the picture is underexposed unless I manually set it to proces +2 overexposure. I shouldn't have to do that. Okay, so any pictures taken with a shutter speed of over 1/20 comes out dark-almost completely black, unless I use the flash. I don't want to use the flash with every picture. I also need to use a faster shutter speed because I take a lot pictures of my son and dog. So, I can't have blurry pictures. Does anyone know what's going on?

Desperate4God

Asked by Desperate4God at 6:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Try manual mode so that you can set both your shutter speed & aperture. Also try setting your ISO sensitivity to a higher level (1600 or even the HI 0.3 range)

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It's just the capabilities of the Rebel XTI, if you want to shoot at a faster shutter speed without flash, you either need to ad light sources , or shoot in more natural light or invest in a higher end camera..I use the Cannon EOS 5D it's a little pricey, but I feel worth it
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 3:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Here is the place to ask this question. I guarantee you will get answers that will help and if there is an existing problem with that model, they will know.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

You may have to sign-up to ask a question, but you really should sign-up anyway. Any questions you ever have about your camera or any accessories for it will be answered there better than anywhere else.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009