Age difference between children?

I am wondering when would be a good time to have another baby. My son is a year old and I'm starting to get baby fever again. I'm trying to make an educated decision about how far to space them out. What is your advice?

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 6:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• two years apart. your body has healed from one before stressing it with another and the kids will be close enough to play together and be good playmates/
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would wait until closer to 2 years old. :) I am expecting my new baby in May and my daughter is 2. I think it's a good difference. My sis and I were 15 months apart and it was NOT a good thing for my mom, or us! :) Enjoy your toddler, then have a new baby!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My first two are 3 yrs apart and that was a good span. My second and 3rd and 15 mths apart. After that my kids were 5 yrs apart. I think 3 yrs is the best though.

Answer by gemgem at 6:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Our first two are three years apart and it's great. We are planning on having two or three more starting in the next couple years. Our children now are 6 and 9. I think it's a personal decision, as long as your body is healthy enough to get pregnant again I say go for it.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i think its up to you when you wana have another one. you will hear all sorts of advice on when to have another child follow your heart. My ex sister had 5 children all where with in 18months apart of each other she had them one right after the other. My SIL now her children are 3 and half years apart.
    My boys will be 7 and half years apart by the time i have this one.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My kids are 15 months, 13 months and 3 1/2 years apart (there's 4 of them) and I preferred the 15 months spacing the most. They were and are best of friends. 13 months was a little tougher but that could have been because of their personalities. 3 1/2 years SUCKED. I hated it so much. My 2yo is the best but I hate that she's 3 years younger then her sister. She has nothing in common with her older siblings and is always left out and alone. It's sad. I really wished I could have had another one right after her so she would have a sibling close in age with her. My older kids are 8, 7 and 6 and in school all day. Because of that she has grown up super fast. She won't be 3 until April but acts like she is 3 1/2 already and does everything on her own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It's totally up to you. YOU have to decide for yourself....

I have three with 33 months oldest to youngest (22 months and 11 months difference)

I don't recommend doing it that way on purpose...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My girls are 5 years apart (5 years and 1 month exactly) and it really worked well for us. We didn't plan it that way though... That is how they came. like everyone said.. it's your choice. But I'll have to tell you...just because you want them to be a certain amount of year apart.. doesn't mean that's how you'll get them. I wanted a 3 year difference between children.... but i didn't meet the right man until my oldest was 4.5! so... It'll happen when it does! but making a plan for an idea of time is ok too.. lol
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 7:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Well answering me this compared to everyone else is stupid lol. I have a 5yr old nearly 6. A 3yrold. A 2yr old. A 17mo old and a 4mo old. And i think mine are perfect and we are going to wait 3yrs for baby No.6.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• IDK...I am the middle child. My older sister is 8yrs older than me, My younger sister is 8yrs younger than me. Me and my older sister fought alot growing up couldn't wait for her to move out-She turned 18yrs old, moved out and Got married-She is now my fave. sister. MY daughter is 6 1/2yrs old. I'd like to have another one.But hasn't happened yet for hubby and I.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009