Can they really expect this!!!!

Ok I had my membranes stripped on friday and was in labor ALL weekend.... Iv been soooooo uncomfortable and in pain, well i went to the hospital saturday morning and was there for about 4 hours and things started going a little quicker well the hospital was really busy and they told me to go home and sleep and rest till my contractions were in an exact pattern and closer together so they did get closer be not on a good pattern so they told me just to stay home and rest!! So I was supposed to go to my DR today well they called and canceld my appointment and just said rest im still have really really bad contractions and they said that if I go the the hospital that they will just send me home!! Im almost 39 weeks can they just make me go through this for another week and a half???

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That is really messed up.
    Anonymous

• is this your first child?????????? you shouldnt have to go through that iw ould make them do something
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yep they can. I was in early labor with my 4th for more then 2 weeks and they did the same thing. Finally the day before I was due they stripped my membranes and said to go ahead and go to the hosp if I was still uncomfortable. They were going to send me home but my babies heart beat was slowing down with every contraction so they chose to induce me because of that. Otherwise they would have just sent me home again. They told me it isnt real labor unless it produces a child and most women arent in labor for weeks at a time. They are right.

Answer by gemgem at 6:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• are you dialated any??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• That's BS my dear. I do believe you should go to a different hospital if at all possible that will actually help you. You should not have to be in pain. How far apart are your contractions anyways cause I mean for all they know baby could be really close to coming.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 6:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Im dialated to a 2 and this is my 4th baby!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The doctors are there to serve you, you can bitch for what you want, it might work =] It did for me.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You need to go back & get checked again just to be sure. My contractions were NEVER regular & consistent, & I was told the same thing -- just wait.

After days of this, I went in anyways & was already dilated to about 6cm.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• yes, they can make you go through that. hospitals and obs are not required to induce labor just for any reason and there is no obvious medical reason to speed up your labor. It sucks, but it's a fact.

If your contractions are not 4 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour you probably haven't dilated enough to do anything. If they check you in before 4-5 cm your chances of a c/s are increased because hospitals tend to rush labors. If they get worse, go in and get checked again but too many vaginal exams aren't good either. It's just asking for an infection...

"you shouldn't have to be in pain" hahah, she's in labor! My close friend was in active labor for a week before she was dilated enough to check into the hospital.

good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• did they break your water? You could be at risk for infection, I dont see why they would do that and then refuse to see you, but had your contractions just started naturally they can last for a week or more til the baby actually comes. But I would think since they did, they should have to keep you til it does.

they shouldn't tell you to wait for nature to do it, when they couldn't wait for nature to break your membranes on their own in the first place....
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 7:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009