natural birth or pain meds

i want to know the pros and cons of natural birth
i asked my doc but him not being through it makes me want to hear from everyone else
also the pros and cons of getting the meds (cant speel the word)

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• forceps & episiotomy is not "totally" natural...... but congrats for maing it drug free.

meds sometimes only work on one side and not another, it also passes to the baby making it take longer for it to cry and sometimes needing o2 support. Getting drugs might slow or stop your labor, which gets doctors antsy and want to push more interventions on you that you probably dont need.

If you go into natural birth expecting it to hurt like hell and have no other ways prepared to deal with the pain, it will hurt like hell. You might tear, but it usually heals better than an episiotomy does anyway. Your baby will be brighter, more alert, and usually have a better aspar score right away without being drugged.

Its your call, its not for everyone.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 7:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i have an epidural and i didnt feel anything with my daughter but with my son i felt everything i had alot of meds and they didnt work but he was my first and i got it early it all depends on the person
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had an epidural with my litle one and i'm glad I did. She decided to come out with her hand on her head and I tore through 3 layers of skin and the muscle. I can't imagine how that would feel but i'm pretty sure I would have passed out or something.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• There are no cons to a natural birth.. it is safer on you and the baby. :) pain meds in the form of narcotics will pass through the placenta and drug the baby. Statistically the epidural slows labor, although it is not the case for many women, and it can cause permanent spinal injury.

I vote for all natural. I had half a dose of nubain, a synthetic narcotic, with my daughter and she came out drugged. It was terrible. I went through transition and delivery drug free and LOVED it. This birth will be at home, no drugs no nothing.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have had both.
    Epidurals- Great because it kills the pain completely but if done wrong you can have pain in half your body like I did so get them early so they can correct it if that happens. You cant feel your legs after and walk around. And its hard to tell when to push and my 4th & 5th babies who I had epidurals with were longer labors I believe because of that. Sometimes you can also have back pain after having the baby or develop a Limpona (sp? its tumor in ur back).
    Natural: Perks you can get up and walk right away. You are more tired. You can feel when you need to push which can lower the length of time pushing and in labor. You can still have other pain mgt drugs like Demerol.

Answer by gemgem at 7:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My first was all natural. I was in labor 3 days. I ended up with a forceps & episiotomy delivery --- no drugs at all. It was a nightmare.

I had 3 Csections all under general anesthesia after that. I've never had an epidural or spinal. You couldn't pay me enough to get one of those. I know too many people whose epi/spinal resulted in permanent nerve damage or have stories of them not working properly. But then again, some people swear by them.

You just have to weigh the pros & cons for yourself.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I had an all natural birth my almost 3 year old. I was scared to get the epidural for fear of having permanent spinal injury so I chose not to get it. I liked the fact that I was able to get up and walk around after I had him and his birth was not all that long, was only 7 hours.
    Lokah13

Answer by Lokah13 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• when i was in labor the pain was unbareable... i waited till i was 4cm b4 i got meds... but the pain also depends on the women... if you know you cant stand alot of pain then i would recommend you get meds..
    mari_mommie

Answer by mari_mommie at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• and another thing.... natural is more freeing. you can walk, change positions, and just be free! there are so many ways to manage pain: laboring in a tub, birth ball, massages, etc. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Don't take this the wrong way (i'm not bashing, just curious) What do you do for the extreme pain if you have a natural birth at home? What do you do if you tear? Is there medical personnel there monitoring? How does that work?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2009