MY KIDS WONT LISTEN

For the most part my kids are great. But recently they have turned into little devils. My DD is almost 4 and my DS is almost 2. We recently bought a 42" lcd tv and a new stand. They are all over this thing and behind it because the tv is attached to a post and sits higher then the table top. I have yelled, screamed, smacked hands and butts to no use. They give me this "what are you going to do about it" look until I head towards them and then they get down. I am losing my mind with these two. I hate spanking (I was abused as a child) and it doesn't seem to have worked the few times I've done it because they have yet to stop the behavior.
any advice would be great

nvedwards

Asked by nvedwards at 7:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know of a GREAT book that you might find some good ideas in... it's written by a Christian, so I don't know how you would feel about that..... if you are interested in learning the title and author's name please send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Maybe you could talk to them nicely and explain to them why they can't play by it:) We rarely yell at our children and they listen well, especially when we take the time to explain to them why we want them to do this and why they can't do that-it works in our household.
    Anonymous

• Well yelling, screaming etc isnt going to get your anywhere with a 4 & 2 yr old. All that does is teach them that behavior is alright so in time you will have a 12 & 10 year old yelling back at you and asking questions about what to do about that. You have to get on their level and explain to them why they cannot do those things. You also have to offer them other interesting things to do besides the TV. Any attention to kids is better then no attention and they will go after negative attn and mom yelling sometimes. Kids are funny that way. I suggest some parenting books, or taking an early childhood development class at the local community college. Usually they have great tips.

Answer by gemgem at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Try giving the kids a chance to explore the TV with you right there to make sure nothing happens. Let them ask questions. Take time to follow their interests in a safe manner rather than making them feel like something's wrong with curiosity. I mean, hey, you ALL just got this great new TOY for everyone...teach the kids about it, why it's dangerous, how to stay safe. Also, check out the Creative Discipline group for great suggestions on discipline issues.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009