Gender and breastfeeding?

I want to know if the length of time breastfeeding a baby is determined by the gender of the baby.

If you had a daughter would you nurse her past 12months? or short of 12 months?
If you had a son would you nurse him past 12 months or just short of 12 months?

And why is that so?

MyIslandGirls

Asked by MyIslandGirls at 7:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Makes absolutely no difference to me , why would it ?
    I don't get it....
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would nurse either gender of child past 12 months. 12 months is the minimum, and a poor minimum at that. I intend to breastfeed any of my babies until they self-wean, preferably past 2 years.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i dont think it makes a difference as far as gender goes how long someone breastfeeds. I dont think breastfeeding should be carried out past a year. I mean hell you break your kid from a bottle at a year you should get them off the titt at a year to. IMO
    Anonymous

• I'm wondering because we, as a society have gender barriers... Boys are played with more roughly, girls more gentaly.. Boys tend to be told to suck it up and girls are allowed to cry... So on and so forth... So I wondered if the gender of a child would make a difference in the wy it was feed.... in this case via breastfeeding. Would a parent feel ackward nursing a son for longer than a daughter...
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 7:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• a bottle and a "Titt" are totally different things. And why exactly are the parents who don't believe in extending nursing always using the derogitory(sp?) language? like titt? I mean it's name is Breast isn't it? I mean we don't call it Titt feeding do we? They are mammory glands right? Every MAMMAL on earth uses them... and we are Mammal right? so why is it soo hard not to see them as sexual?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 7:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I nursed DS until he was 2 and DD#1 till she was 2 1\2 but that was their preference. My sis nursed one of her boys till he was 3. As far as nursing goes I don't think gender makes a difference . . . it doesn't to me anyway.
    mommyof3...

Answer by mommyof3... at 8:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have a boy, and he is 12.5 months. I plan on BF him as long as he wants, and if he were a she, I would feel the same way. To me it's not about the gender, its about BF. To It is in the best interest of the child, AND the rest of the world. If every mother did the right think and BF their children at LEAST 12 months (which I agree is a poor minimum) the world would be a less sickly place. BF doesn't just help a person as baby, it makes healthier for the rest of their lives.. .and not only them, but the mother as well. And as a woman, and mother of a breastfeeding child I also do not appreciate use of the word "tit." Obviously, someone uneducated enough to use the word "tit" when talking about BF wouldn't know that BF has extreme benefits past 12 months and you cannot replace BM with Cows milk. In almost every other country, it is a child's birth right to nurse for at LEAST the first two years.

jessica1219

Answer by jessica1219 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• A baby is a baby is a baby. The baby's gender doesn't change the fact that the WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least TWO years.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have a son, I plan on nursing him until he self-weans, be it when he's 2, 3, 4, 5.... I don't really care. I whole heartedly believe in the benefits of FULL TERM breastfeeding (using the phrase 'extended' makes it seem as if it's unnatural).

The sex of the infant doesn't bother me in the least. The WHO and AAP don't discriminate between boy and girl babies, so why should I? The bare minimum is TWO years. Not 1. TWO.
    ReekaJean

Answer by ReekaJean at 8:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• At that age, why does the sex of the baby matter for anything?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009