Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turbo tax

Last year my parents let us use their copy of turbo tax 2007 to file our taxes. Do we need to buy the new turbo tax 2008 to file our taxes the same way or can we still use last years program? Don't laugh. Last year was the first time I have ever had to file taxes

Answer Question

Asked by humaniterian87 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (13 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • you can do it for free on H&R Block's website.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • Go to and go to individual. You can file for free using the IRS site if you have under a certain income. One of the companies there is TurboTax. Thats what we use every year. But yes you need an updated version. You can also not buy it and just use their service from their web site

    Answer by gemgem at 7:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • There are few places online you can use but TAXACT is a good one and you can do it for free

    Answer by k.alexander at 7:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • no you need 2008 for the taxes all the q's would be for 2008 and when you sign you want to make sure it prints out for 2008 not 2007

    Answer by justgg at 7:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • If you still have the 2007 version on your PC you can register and download the upgrade - I'm not sure if there is a cost, but it's worth a try.
    Last year I was standing in line at Target and the lady behind me said "I tried Turbo Tax last year and I didn't get a refund. It's a scam." I started laughing, as if just using Turbo Tax would get you a refund. It's amazing how many people don't know your refund is YOUR MONEY which is REFUNDED! LOL

    Answer by at 7:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • THere are free websites. Start are They should have them listed. I don't think you can use the same software as is (if you can upgrade, great) b/c there have been chances to the tax laws so your return may be out of date. If you have state return to file, it will be out of date as well. The forms may change each year too. I'd defiantely start at and see what free sites they endorse.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.