What should I do when I get frustrated at trying to make my daughter happy at night, when she just wants to cry herself to sleep?

f249571

Asked by f249571 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i got the same problem but my son is 2 and they told me at the dr. that he was going through a stage. good luck have you tried rocking her to sleep maybe a cd or something that she might like
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• let her cry mom and try to go to a place where u can hear her but it is not right in your ear.Kids go thru this and it is much harder on us parents lol.Get one of those stress balls,so while u are waiting out the storm you can distract yourself.Also,maybe a set of headphones and some music u like.Loud enough for u to hear both dd and the music,count to ten beofre you speak to her,do it outloud, hang in there!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Why in the world would your baby WANT to cry herself to sleep??
    That doesn't make sense. If she's crying, then something is wrong..
    Babies have the odd day of fussiness where just nothing makes them happy, and all you can do is walk them around and gently talk to them while they get it out of their system, but it's not an every day thing- it's often after days of too much stimulation, teething, growth spurts, etc... And those are your reasons right there.
    No baby cries just because they prefer it.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• If your efforts to calm the baby only seem to annoy her more, it could be that she does need to cry it out a little bit. Sometimes trying too many different things can agitate the baby rather than calm the baby. It can be "stimulation" rather than soothing. So, I wonder what happens if you do let her cry? How long does she cry for? Does she build up to a frenzy or does she gradually calm down. And if you are getting upset during the process that isn't helping anything. At the very least, give yourself a break if you need one. You can't always make a baby "happy" all the time. Trying too hard can be counterproductive.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• when mine gets fussy (which isn't very often) and she doesn't want to eat I hold her really close to me but lying on her side and I tuck her right arm behind my left side and give her a binki and she calms down then falls asleep. Also, i have one of those "sleep sheep" and I play it at her head at bedtime and she loves it. I also have an ipod that I hook up to her ipod dock and have her lullabys on it and sing to her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• One more thing....don't get frustrated. If you do just put her down or give her to someone. sometimes we just need a short break.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Hayden has these fits....they actually just started within the last few weeks- She wakes up in the middle of the night and screams (almost like night terrors but you know she is only 14weeks old...what could she be scared of?) I just hold her and walk around for a few minutes.. i also have a pack n play next to my bed that vibrates, so i turn that on and it sometimes helps..and of course her pacifier helps soothe her. I know how ya feel though..just hang in there and keep in mind that she can sense when you are tense or frustrated
    tiffani_qt2001

Answer by tiffani_qt2001 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Running the water at full blast in the bathroom sink always calmed my son. Sometimes I would just sit on the toilet and rock a lil and he would stop crying. Your daughter may have gas, upset stomach or a little reflux, causing her to wake up b/c discomfort. so maybe make sure she's being burped about every ounce. That was the case with my son, he would scream forever n seemed to be in pain. you can always try the shower, blow-dryer, and the vacuum if you don't live above anyone. The vacuum works great as well! i hope this helps. you can send me a message and let me kno how it goes n i'll c if i can think of anything else we did. (ps. the rocking/glider chair Never worked for him. i know it's hard not being able to help your baby. Just hang in there and you'll be through this time before you know it. Good Luck!
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009