I Want to toughen my nipples in preparation for Brest feeding but im scared it will cause me to go into labor

With my DD i was not able to brest feed from her being premutre and having trouble sucking and trying to get her to lach on and plus the pain i was just one big stressful mess.So i let her take a bottle and when we got home i tried to pump and give it to her in a bottle but she knew the differance even when i mixed it half and half. But with this baby i want to brest feed no matter what...well a friend suggetsed that i start toughening my nipples to help with the pain some but i heard nipple stimmulation can cause you to go into labor. And im only 31 weeks pregnant so im not ready to have this baby anytime soon ( i mean im ready who isnt but i KNOW its too early). So with that all being said should i just wait closer to my due date to start trying to toughen my nipples?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There really is no need to "toughen" your nipples.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 11:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You don't need to toughen or stimulate your nipples in order to be able to breast feed. That can actually be bad for your nipples, you can cause cracking and bleeding, plus as you said, nipple stimulation can cause you to go into labor.If you really want to breast feed and have questions or concerns about being able to do it this time around, most hospitals have lactation consultants on staff and they will help you.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I was wondering about this as well. Someone told me the same thing.
    IN a normal pregnancy it shouldn't hurt anything, but i do not think it would help. use lanolin, and yeah it does or can hurt at first. That goes away though. Just make sure you take care of yourself. use warm cloths and soothies and whatever eles you ca to help those boobies stay comfy
    bluesubaru

Answer by bluesubaru at 1:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Trying to "toughen" your nipples may actually make them more sensitive and sore. It's probably not going to help.

You don't have to worry about it sending you into labor, though. In order to start labor nipple stimulation needs to be 15 minutes per nipple every hour for several hours, PLUS it's only going to work if your body is ready to have the baby anyway.
    sioleabha

Answer by sioleabha at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• No need to try. You do need to get in touch with a lactation counselor and have her plan to visit you after the baby is born to see how you are doing.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008