jundice?

My daughter still has jaundice and shes 6 weeks old. I brought the billiblanket home when she was a newborn and used it. The doctor told me I could stop after 5 days and I did. They ordered a blood test last week and its still above 8. Should I be worried or is this normal? First baby so everything freakes me out.

letlovegrow

Asked by letlovegrow at 7:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would find a spot in the house that has sun streaming in, make sure it's nice and warm, and lay her naked in it for about 20 minutes and flip her.

Also if you are breastfeeding and it doesn't offend you, give her an ounce or two of formula.

Make sure you are still taking your prenatals if you are breastfeeding. Mine was fine after about seven days with the above steps but she wouldn't drink the formula.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• jaundice can be worrysome. If it's warm in your area you can take her outside and let the sun hit her skin. I don't know if this will work through windows (incase it's freezing there like it is here). The more skin the sun hits the better. Also if you're nursing that should help too.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am nursing, and she eats a lot quite often. She won't take a bottle i'v tried, and I really don't want her having formula. It's freezing here too. I'v heard of breastfeeding jaundice but i don't really know how that works, i think they just stay yellow but it doesn't actually hurt them at all or something idunno.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 8:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• What does the doctor say to do? Is the jaundice causing problems.....if it can lead to other complications you can't just let it go. Whatever it takes to make sure the baby is healthy and not being damaged is what you should do. I think you need to defer to the medical experts.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have I pushed for another blood test, they say it should just go down on its own, but shes 6 weeks it should have went away by now. Over all shes a happy healthy bouncy baby and gained 3lbs since birth.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 8:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Actually 8 isn't bad....the docs don't worry about it until it goes to like 15. Mine had jaundice and she was at like a 19. Once the levels start going down they don't go back up. They only go down. Even tho it may take a while, they will only go down. I used the bili blanket for 4 days and she still looked jaundiced for a couple of weeks but it DOES go away. Not to worry:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Also, contrary to what the nurses in the hospital tell you formula DOES NOT help it. Don't give her formula if you want to breastfeed. it will only confuse her. Breastmilk will actually help it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009